Wilson Audio for a 1600 sq ft space

I love the design of Wilson Audio speakers and am looking to purchase a system for a 37' x 45' mostly open space living room. 

I host a lot of gatherings, from dinners to parties, so I am looking for a system that will fill the room and sound good at all volumes whether you are sitting or standing throughout the space. Doesn't have to be perfect. I'm assuming that anything will be an upgrade from my crappy ceiling built ins. I'm in my 30s and will be streaming mostly deep house, hip hop and rock from the likes of Spotify. 

I've been considering the newer Alexia 2s, the Sasha DAWs (and 2s) but also the MAXX 3 and even Grand SLAMM 2s since they seem to be heavily discounted used. I'm open to suggestions. Given the size of the room, the footprint of the speakers is not really a concern. 

Would appreciate any input you may have. 

Happy holidays. Cheers!

yvl

Showing 15 responses by yvl

Hope everyone is staying safe.

Sorry I've been AWOL but I put this project on hold due to a bout with cancer. After several months of treatment it's looking like I'm back on track to being healthy again. Fingers crossed. 

So I'm finally revisiting everything with a more YOLO perspective. I haven't pulled the trigger on the speakers yet but I've secured a stack of d'Agostino Momentums: Preamp HD, pair of M400. 

I'm also pretty much settled on a dCS Bartok. 

Now the question I have is do I stick with my plan to acquire the X1 series 3 or 5, or upgrade to the X2 series 2? Some here have argued that newer technology is not necessarily better... Do the X2s substantially outperform the X1? Will the X2 fill up my space better or is their sonic improvement only perceptible in a dedicated listening room? If that makes a difference, I will be adding a sub to my system at some point down the road. Probably a watchdog. 

Current drawbacks from getting the X2 is obviously pricing and the fact that I marginally still prefer the more retro look of the original X1. 

@supermerio The Sasha's are no longer in the running. It's between the GrandSlamms and the Alexandrias.

@ewert (not sure why tagging isn't working)

Was thinking of getting the dCS Bartok to stream Tidal etc

@willgolf 

Glad to hear about your daughter beating this thing!

To make things more complicated I may have an opportunity to get a pair of Alexx for the price of the X2. Any thoughts on how they compare to each other? Which one would you get?
@ewert the design of focals is not for me. 

@willgolf so you consider the Alexx to be superior to the Alexandrias? I've heard the Alexx just never the Alexandria and there are none in my area. 
Alexia 2 are about 45-50k used and Sasha DAWs 37k + tax new. 

Are they worth the premium when the MAXX 3 can be found used at about 30k? 

going to do some research on MBL given the positive feedback. the 101 seems out of my price range. would their smaller speakers suffice?

still prefer the look of the wilsons to be honest...
@georgehifi 

Which pre amp and streamer would you recommend to go with with the Gryphon mono amps? 

Also is there an alternative to the Gryphon? If I go the Grand Slam route, I'll be on the lookout for a used set so would be good to have a couple fall backs. 
@david_ten Aesthetics are crucial. I have a somewhat surrealist decor so everything needs to be a statement piece. 

A friend put me onto Wilson. I like the way they sound, their design and the funky colors they come in. Yellow, orange or red Sashas/Alexias would fit right into my universe. I wasn't considering the larger Grand Slamm and Alexx Wilson's initially but I am now really into their over the top sculptural design. Although I'd have to forgo the outlandish color palette. 

Sadly, I'm not warming up to MBL's designs. I still hope to go see them in person because I now understand the merits of the omni technology for my space. 

For the record I also really like the aesthetic of the FM acoustics XS pyramid speakers but they are way out of my price range. 

To be clear i’m not running a nightclub. But I am a social person and constantly have people over.

My open space floorplan is not a dancefloor and can be broken down into several distinct areas. 1) a formal dinning room for 16 people 2) a living room with a few sofas around a coffee table 3) a fire place with low seating and pillows where guests tend to sit on the rug 4) a smaller breakfast table so to speak for 6 people 5) a wet bar.

I’m typically hosting 5-8 people at a time 4-5 times a week but those numbers can go up to 25-30 post a more formal dinner, maybe once or twice a month. Clusters of people start to form in each "environment" of my open space to engage in further conversations. A handful may elect to get their dance on in the center of the room which is probably the only time I’d be cranking the volume significantly up.

I'm leaning towards Grand Slamm 2 upgraded to 3 or the Maxx 3. They seem like decent value right now. Going to audition them in the next few days but most likely in smaller dedicated listening rooms.

@georgehifi is an advocate of the GS. What are the differences, pros & cons between the 2. Do the Maxx sound warmer? 

@ozzy62 I haven't decided on the equipment yet because I wanted to hone in on the speakers first. Gryphon Antileon evo and Audionet Max monblocks have been recommended so far. 
@tdimler I actually almost got a pair of red Vivid Ovals for my screening room but decided to go will in wall speakers instead. I don't love the G1/G2 aesthetic. 
@georgehifi The Gryphon evo at $75k the pair new are out of my price range I'm afraid. A used set would probably still be too expensive at this point. 

What about a pair of the new McIntosh MC901 or used MC1.2Kw? 

Any other alternatives?
@georgehifi 

The Parasounds were recommended as affordable equipment when I went to listen to the current Wilson offering at a dealer. I find them a little bland looking but will keep them in mind.

What about Gryphon signature monos? They seem more affordable.

I heard Dagostino momentums drive a Maxx 3. Momentums are too expensive but what are your thoughts on the Progressions?

What else? Jeff Rowland, Luxman? There's gotta be something out there that will check all the boxes even if it's a step down from Gryphon...

Everyone on this board seems to be anti McIntosh.