Why will no other turntable beat the EMT 927?

Having owned many good turntables in my audiophile life I am still wondering why not one of the modern designs of the last 20 years is able to beat the sound qualities of an EMT 927.
New designs may offer some advantages like multiple armboards, more than one motor or additional vibration measurements etc. but regarding the sound quality the EMT is unbeatable!
What is the real reason behind this as the machine is nearly 60 years old, including the pre-versions like the R-80?
thuchan

Showing 10 responses by dev

Tbg, interesting!

you said;
I have a Nantais Lenco Reference on order. Some have said that other Lenco updates are perhaps better, but I doubt it.

Congrats on your new pce but the other comment made above how would you know this if you haven't actually owned from both sources and compared.

SP Ultra 5's;

I also have 4 under each of my speakers and to date are my preference and have heard numerous others trying under their tables with great success, I know of one manufacture also utilizing such as a standard when selling his "Steve D" Kodo The Beat table latest version.

With your speakers are you utilizing and connecting with the threaded nipples, do you have them snugged right up tight or do you have them backed off a few turns.
Omsed,

ya for sure these forum's can be addictive :-)

you wrote;

A teacher used to say to us "open your mind, something might drop in". I'm here trying to do that.

REALLY! I don't really see it that way, you seem to be side stepping simple questions put forth to so I'll ask again.

Please do share by providing a list of what you feel are "Great table" along with "State of Art tables" from your own experience.

If you want to add a brief description along with each outlining why would be great also.
Omsed, kindly enlighten us further and do share what you like and why.

I'm an open minded end user and to date with my own personal first hand ownership of some tables am truly amazed with what they add or not to the music as a whole.

Tbg, your last posting the statements are interesting but at the same time subjective when you suggest one table

"greatly out-performed everything with which I compared it, including the Shindo."

So you are suggesting the Ref JN Lenco is that much better but you don't even actually have it yet. That's confusing, kindly enlighten us further with more details of what you found to be different.

I would think the platter it's self on these specific tables to be an important part of the design offering ...

I have even read JN has been working on a all out assault table which actually includes such but will be too costly for most, in communication with him he is way too busy making money with the Ref tables. More affordable.

When looking at another company it appears that they already offer this different platter.

Do share what knowledge you have gained about these designs in general.

Ttweights,

I would have to disagree with your assessment, this coming from a manufacture kindly do provide more in depth details specifically.

In this specific thread the table in reference is a EMT 927.

Do you feel any on your current table designs are superior or even of equal? If so kindly list in detail.

I have heard numerous tables of yours and sorry but nothing was exciting. One guy's system one could clearly hear the noisy motor and this person commented you had changed it out numerous times, also table could not hold an accurate speed even though this is something that you seem to specifically market which really left me scratching my head.

Nothing personal but no one that I know who has heard your tables or even in the forums feels your tables are anything special.
Mosin,

said; I would like to believe that at least one beats it. :wink:

Only way to find out is to compare and even then that's subjective on it's own specially if one has never actually heard a EMT 927 and comparing.

I have yet to come across any of your tables locally in a system nor on the forums from other user's commenting, why is this. Is there a lack of your designs out there, I have vaguely read they are very costly but really not sure of the actual cost so how much does one of your table designs actually go for and what's included and where can one see-touch and listen to in a system.
Mikelavigne,

Sorry but I really just don't understand your reply and below are my reasons why.

How do you or anyone for that matter of fact able to go to a show and hear a set-up that involves numerous pces that you are not familiar with as a whole paired up together, never mind the room or others things going on but able to come to a conclusion suggesting the sound is the result of one specific pce of gear within what ever has me at a loss.

Gotta love it though :-)

How would you know what the Saskia table has to offer in general if not put in your own system and directly compared towards the Dobbins Garrard 301 you make reference to.

Sorry but this just isn't possible.

I don't know Mosin and have no knowledge about his marketing and/or product.

Hi Mosin,

Thx for that information, I'm sure Thuchan and others would be up to the task to compare one of your tables so are you up to that task.

Ya unfortunately searching the archives provides very limited information about your table which are vague anyways, I have read discussions in the past years where you were asked specifically more technical questions about your design but have declined saying you want to keep such as a secret.

The only information I have gained was written in a 6moons blurb; showed a picture of a table saying it was a new OMA product blah! blah! patent-pending with the motor controller done by Mark Kelly. The deck being designed by you Win Tinnon, machining by Colby Lamb and that OMA did the slate fabrication.

That was all talked about back in 2008, then you have member Robyatt posting also back in 2008 and wrote; "I heard the Saskia Idler drive TT at Oswalds Mill Audio the other day"

Care to comment!!!

My following comment is not be taken personally but if your table is that great and if I was you I would put this question to myself "why aren't there more owners of my tables out there"
Lewm,

excuse me when you suggest I should lay off and say he told me that every table is hand-made by him, where did he say that?

Are you 100% sure about this statement you made? or is Win designing and having pces manufactured by this and or that person/organization to his spec and then assembling.

I have nothing against Win, nor of his design nor am I attacking him as a person.

Just asking questions for clarification, sorry but I'm just not privy to all the stuff that's gone on. I'm only referring to reading a little of this or that over the past years "appears mainly from 2008" involving OMA and what was wrote on the 6moons thread.

Win was the one whom referred me to search the archives so I did, oops!

This is an open forum for discussion right so why so defensive and why are you answering for him, I did not put the question forth to you.

Business wise I wish him well but your rant doesn't assist specially if the information is not 100% correct. ;-)
Lewm, no problem.

I'm not privy to the history of this specific table but have quickly found it appears to be sensitive subject from a past situation.

Some of your guys are obviously aware of such and I wasn't.

I agree tone of writing can come across improper, it's much easier to be able to communicate in person.

I was just curious about this table and have read a little of this and that but all very vague and then Mosin "Win" replied and suggested I do some research so I did.

I would like Mosin "Win" to know I have no hidden agenda, just interested to learn more about his product.

A suggestion would be to do a simple web site with a few pages, include some pics of the product, history etc with a contact email and phone number. We are talking about some serious change here.
Hi Mikelavige,

We can agree to disagree you know how it goes Ha! HA!, see below my response. My posting is just discussion and my 2-cents worth and nothing else ;-)

Firstly I agree we are on the same page when you wrote;

when an unfamiliar system sounds very good, particularly a vinyl sourced system, i believe some things can be learned.
either the speed is good or it's not. either the music has flow and energy or it does not. and familiar pressings reveal plenty about noise levels and such.

but Mike you and I both know there is allot more going on then just to do with the actual table it's self, you could have that identical set-up and if not set-up correctly - arm off- cart misaligned - phono setting different would not sound the same.

Do you agree with this?

Now if you placed this same "Saskia" table within your system, used the same cart and arms etc and made those same comments in your original posting well that would greatly make sense to me but you didn't.

To me shows in general should be used to meet others, see and possibly touch actual product and see what's new. Hey it's a bonus if the sound is decent but to go around and evaluate the way you mentioned just makes no sense to me, way too many factors come into play and in the end not fair to any of the product.

I can just picture guys scurrying off to different rooms wanting to hear their specific pce, cough cough I gotta laugh. No disrespect, if this is your thing and you truly feel the way to compare well what can I say.

This Saskia table in question alone Win said charges $36K, far from being chump change.

Honestly not trying to attack you!

P.S. Your system is looking marvelous, you mentioned the importance of speed etc. Have you ever placed a Sutherland TimeLine on your current NVS table? If so what were the results because this has been asked prior in other threads but never actually answered. I know Albert did this and mentioned it would not and has sense sold his table.

I know this is also a sensitive subject but please do share.

I want to make it clear that I have no agenda in relation to the Saskia table, actually only personal interest.