Why were 291 responses removed about Rap?

I do not care for rap.  It is not music.  I abhor unbridled censorship.  Why were 291 posts systematically removed,  then the post deleted by moderators?   I did have a serious reply, followed by two tamer ones. This is not about me.
128x128danvignau

Showing 50 responses by glupson

...(what I presume to be)...

And that is the problem of many here. For some reason, people presume that members here are male, old, white, rich. Somehow, nobody mentions "fat".

However, reading Audiogon threads, I concluded that it is a decently diverse group. Maybe predominantly male, but far from uniform. Even Audiogon website we are holding on to is for buying used, inherently depreciated, equipment. If you read many of the comments, not in this thread of course, you will find out that people are saving to buy something. Sometimes for years. Many times you will notice "it is out of my budget". Most of the posters do not have $80 000 amplifiers even if they would really want to have them.

There was a thread about people’s occupations. It was so diverse that I liked finding out about jobs I had not known even existed.

Even racial composition, or at least exposure to racial diversity, may be underestimated. I would presume (here we go again) that a number of posters have at least biracial, if not polyracial, families. Not to mention coworkers.

Not all of the posters are from the U.S.A. I am aware of a few posters from United Kingdom and Australia. Every now and then, someone reveals her/his Asian place of residence. I remember one from Africa and have interacted with one from South America.

Silly ideas "we were all raised as..." are just exposing that the windows have not been opened yet. Once they come from a sociology professor, they are downright disappointing.
"...without the mass bloodshed..."

Not to take sides, but didn't he establish, organize, and become a leader of some militant wing?
orpheus10,

Some day, the window will open and you will notice that it is not 1974 anymore.

Not that I have anything to do with Norwegian, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Australian, or Ukraineian (hmmm, this word does look suspicious) rap, but it is there regardless of how impossible it may seem.
andy1979,

"A bunch of cranky old rich farts who have never really experienced much of life, sadly."

You figured us out so well.

"And the lack of kindness and emotional intelligence is only matched by..."

You?
andy 1979,

here’s what I’m talking about:

...“can you even buy a nice house in a black neighborhood “...

I am not sure where you read that quote. Not in this thread, I think.

There was a quote in this thread...

"Can you buy a $1.4 Mil mansion in a Black neighborhood?"
with (it just happens to be my) reply...

Not a mansion, but 1038 square feet of an apartment.

Harlem Real Estate - Harlem New York Homes For Sale | Zillow
It is surely different from what you imagined it to be and then wrote it.

andy1979,

Tell us how you really feel.

While you are at that, tell us what you are referring to.

"...(and presumably this one)... That’s a fact, Jack."
That's not a fact, that's a presumption, Jill.
"Real talk."

Forget about talk, give me some real rap.

Wait, isn't that the same?
"Jesus, I need a drink."

It is early in the day, are you sure you have not had a few too many already?
Now, when he was mentioned, Michael Jackson really crossed every divide that there was. He was a star in Siberian villages, African tribal areas, clubs of London and Paris, radio stations in Argentina, Japan, Korea, India, everywhere. I would even consider him being more popular than rap. Which is an achievement, for sure.
danvingau,

glupson I certainly hope your comment, "It depends on the color of the person who is raping." is not a Freudian slip that indicates how you really feel.
I certainly hope your comment, ""I certainly hope your comment, "It depends on the color of the person who is raping." is not a Freudian slip that indicates how you really feel."" is not a Freudian slip that indicates how you really feel.

Simply because you have certainly noticed that it was a quote by someone else and that quote was not mine.
"It's not the rap music some people don't like It's the color of the person who is raping."

So many here are bothered by the color of Norwegian rappers? That is sad.
"...50,000 gallons of delivered fuel in ONE WEEKEND..."

If we take weekend as three days (72 hours), that would be 11.57 gallons pumped every minute of that weekend. It would be 23 30-gallon tanks filled every hour of that weekend.

As a reference, 2021 Cadillac Escalade has 24-gallon tank and 2021 Chevrolet Suburban has 28-gallon tank.

That is one very busy Mini-Mart.

ghasley,

It was one of the protests in the U.S.A. some time last year and in media labeled as peaceful. I got out of that easy. Abuse that a policeman standing in a mostly empty side street, relatively far from what was to be a protest, was more disgusting. Some self-righteous fighter started screaming and insulting him because he was....smoking. He added some accusations of violence and other things while the man was standing still far from a living soul. It was painful to watch. It ended by the screaming man being isolated in his screaming as we stood between them and the lady neighbor of mine thanked policeman for protecting us. The righteous man looked puzzled as people he was screaming and fighting for did not exactly appreciate his demeanor.

One of the funniest protests was the one when organizers complained that police did not provide enough security for that protest. The protest was trying to......defund the police. For real. People yell because they yell. It is fashionable. Along the way, they lose track of why they yelled and yell at anybody. They even come to audio website and look for any excuse, they call it explanation, to, virtually, yell at whoever is not obeying their thoughts.

Going back to what Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones fame allegedly said. "I do not like rap. I do not like people yelling at me." I was told that. Not by Keith Richards so I am not sure if it is true.
"Can we agree peaceful protesters should be protected..."

Peaceful protesters yelled at me for not wanting to stay with them and yell whatever their agenda was. I became a criminal, racist, garbage, and a few more things while I was only trying to get to the park without bodily harm. I am sure there are peaceful protests, it is just that I have never encountered one that would qualify in my eyes and ears. I have seen peaceful parades, but protests not really. The closest one was recent Asian hate awareness meeting, but it did not appear to be a protest. Just something to raise awareness.
"They all need to be held accountable."
I do not count on anybody. I would not hold anybody accountable. If you hold them, you have to feed them.
davingau,

"You guys lives in fairyland."

I am not sure about fairyland, it surely does not feel that way most of the time, It feels like the present.

Fred whoever, the one you presented as an example, died in the previous century. People who were born after he had died are now shaping the world via their programming, arts, and whatever else.
"...racism in housing and real estate should read about redlining, here’s a primer:"

Just bring enough money and see who will pay attention to your color. You can be a Martian and you will be welcomed.
"Most peole do not realize just how racist we are taught to be."

Not all. Not all at all.

"WE just have to learn to recognize it within ourselves, and try to be better people."

It seems that box office for tickets to heaven is located in Audiogon rap threads. Heaven help us.

"The people who claim not to be racist are simply not ware of their own indoctrination."

Yeah, right. They are just laughing at all the closeted ones trying to outdo each other in how proper they are.

Ticket to Heaven - YouTube
"Anyhow, probably best to stick to a topic that we can all agree on, like the merits of rap music."

A couple of threads got shut down because of those agreements.
Yes, banks did go for the money, not for the color.

I happen to know a few white people who got sucked in like that. As a bonus, I know people in different countries who got sucked in like that.
"Why were 291 responses removed about Rap?"

I think I am getting an idea.

A day or two ago, my post was removed on another thread. It was a quote from millercarbon who bragged how he manages to have people removed and his interaction with the moderator who, according to him, asked him to keep an eye on some banned poster returning. Aside of millercarbon’s quote, it had my four-word response. "Never reveal your sources" That was all. His post, including those with straight up insults to other members, stayed, so it seems that my "Never reveal your sources" was problematic.

So, if millercarbon is asked to watch out for "unruly ones",...

I am not saying that he was instrumental in removing rap posts, but that approach is somewhat puzzling.

And life goes on.
pcc67,

"Glupson, I wasn't trying to insult were you live."

I did not take it that way. I was only trying to illustrate how things really are "in the field". Life goes on, for majority at least.

"Could it have anything to do with COVID- 19?"

"Sell your home, where you love living, over a virus that you can get a vaccine for?"

People encountered something they had not before. They started feeling claustrophobic in their apartments and realized that they outgrew that lifestyle. They had not thought of that before, while streets were their backyard.

"i was lucky during Covid, but if I was in two rooms apartment in Manhattan with two kids I dont think I could have done it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK79lF-ihoU

orpheus10,

"People" give out the loans, and people can deny a loan even when the applicant is qualified, if the people working the office happen to be "conservative".

The world outside the screen has changed over the last few decades. Banks have become very mathematically-oriented businesses and bankers have started caring about money and not much else. Except maybe bad publicity from some ecological disasters. I am giving it benefit of the doubt that at some point it was not like that although I do have doubts. Banking also became a very competitive business and, being a business, it is rarely into running itself out of business by running away qualified customers.

Along with bankers who unexpectedly started paying attention to money, a change came to rap. It spread all over the world. Tectonic changes in business and music have occured and they do not seem to be going away any time soon.

Norwegian bankers listen to Norwegian rap while deciding about stepping out of financing Tanzania. Racism, or love for elephants?

Norway bank divests from firm helping to build a destructive dam in World Heritage Site - EIA (eia-international.org)

Elephant rap - YouTube
A friend of mine, not even close to being from any ghetto anywhere in the world, works for fun as a DJ. At parties, on the radio, in clubs, etc. He has some stage name. I think he even bought a local radio station (local for a terrestrial catchment area of about a million people) so he has his own show hour. If not bought it, he heavily invests in it. He is as serious about music as they get. I think he even had LL Cool as his guest once. If nothing else, LL Cool did announce his show. I really forgot the details, although he forwards me his shows. He can talk about music, any music, for hours although lately he is really emphasizing on rap/hip-hop kind of things. The last thing you will hear him discussing is how race fits into all of that, or anything really. He simply has not been indoctrinated about it and he is a better man for that. It is about music (non-music?) for him. Not about some wise stories.

About a year ago, it happened to have been his birthday, while bicycling through those areas people do not like to go to, I ran (bicycled?) into truly less-fortunate party. Under some overpass. They had a shopping cart, a mattress, some junk, and the loudest Bluetooth speaker I have ever encountered. The power was connected from some box, broken into, in that wall. I was listening to my friend’s show through earphones. That crowd seemed very friendly although I could imagine many crossing the street when they see them. I offered them some other music and connected my Walkman to their speaker. It was fun to watch. They asked me my friend’s name a few times, drugs sometimes mess up your short-term memory I guess, and could not stop saying "He grooves, he grooves, he is great, he grooves." They were full of rhythm and not all songs were what they could have possibly been familiar with. There was rap, yes rap, from a few countries included. They obviously enjoyed for a while and started yelling "Happy Birthday!", which I did record. The only thing they forgot to ask was what race was that guy. It was about music (non-music?) for them. Not about some wise stories.

I just do not have a heart to tell him that his shows hurt my ears.
Loans are calculated on numbers. That is a very cold fact that actuaries will tell you (I asked).

Prices of housing go up and down depending on desirabilty of location and housing itself. That is another cold fact. Areas may not be desirable for many reasons. I have witnessed a street protest in one relatively low-income neighborhood. It was against new buildings and "gentrification" (the word they used). The guy was yelling "Then (different race) people will come and it will not be our neighborhood anymore. The prices will go up. Do you want that? We have to fight it."

I am not sure if anyone wrote a country song about that, though.
pcc67,

Funny, but I do not consider it a war zone. Just a regular life. To be honest, I do not reside there, but do go through there and interact with people there all the time. Even go to restaurants. I did live in a bona fide war zone at some point. It is a different feeling. I recommend Talking Heads' Life During Wartime as a really good snippet of that experience, sans having a drink at the terrace with the view of orange explosions lighting up some not-so-distant night sky. That is how you write a song about unpleasant moments without glorifying blowing someone's head with an Uzi.
simao,

Nothing to worry about. Well, maybe to worry, but not to be sorry about.

Not so long ago, last fall I think but am not sure, I was riding a bicycle towards where I do things. It was early morning. Along the way, I ran into five (five, 5) spots with "crime scene" tape from shootings from the night before. Actually, one had been about an hour before I passed there. I think it was only two, or three, dead between those five locations and it might have been the worst evening of that session. Later that day, or was it the day later, in the afternoon, a guy was shot in the park, playing some sports with friends. Stray bullet at 2-3-4 pm. Further, but not far, from my route. It started happening often enough, and my route was right through the block with the most shootings in that string of months, that I started checking the news in the morning. Not to avoid bullets, but to account for possible detours due to closed streets.

Maybe I should just start writing rap songs (or non-songs) about what I see?
"Tell me,@glupson, when is the last time you have that think about the race where you drove in the car, or went shopping, or walked on the street, or applied for a loan, or applied for a job?"

Virtually every day. I mean shopping and walking on the street.

If you really want to know, I was threatened multiple times in public transport with mentions of the color of my face. Even then, I did not think of those people as racists. I thought of them as potential criminals, but above everything low-life scum. Maybe, even I get a ticket to heaven.
simao,

"I think it’s okay to be hyper aware, if not obsessed with, race."

If you looked from another angle, or continent, it would look ridiculous to you.

No, I did not have a flat tire because of systemic racism (whatever heck that even means). I had it because the tire was bad.

Thankfully, (mostly) young people around the world did not buy into racism promoted as whatever is the flavor of the day. Instead, they accepted rap and built upon it, making it a worldwide phenomenon. They put lyrics to it that mean something to them, and it is not what righteous white guys scrambling for tickets to heaven would blindly say it is. They do not care about what some sociologist has to say to earn a living. They have whatever music (or non-music, if you are on that side of the rap fence) and do not give a second thought about a race of the performer, or what happened somewhere way before anyone alive today could have witnessed.
"I've been teaching for 21 years and that's really not how things work."

Reading this, someone could say "I told you so. You see I am right."

Guys, you are too obsessed with races. You really are.
orpheus10,

I have met many young guys who got shot at. None of them knew who shot them and all were on their way to church when it happened. Briefly, they seem to take it as a part of life and I have not noticed one of them regretting anything. Not everyone in their neighborhoods was of similar behavior. There are simply some people who will always be at extremes. It has nothing to do with rap, or even opportunities in life. What excuse can one have, what hardship in one's life, to shoot a 9-year-old riding a bicycle around the block in the head? There are many violent criminals in all walks and colors of life. Nobody seems to be looking for excuses for them.

Having said that, those guys I mentioned have been of different skin complexions. Also, for some reason, I do not remember a friendly one. I do not remember any of them ever mentioning rap music, either.
I see ngiordano as more honest than all those attacking him for saying his feelings and experiences of others. As I have mentioned in one of those closed threads, once you jump on everything with some aggressive racial explanation, excuse, or whatever, you appear to be a closeted racist trying to buy ticket to heaven.

pcc67 pretty much explains it all. It is just if you are courageous enough to try to understand.
"If someone is 21 years old, and in a holy hell on the West Side of Chicago, this old man can clue him on the s--t that happened before he ever even thought about being born..."

East Side, West Side, somewhere there...

Paper Lace - The Night Chicago Died (lyrics) - YouTube
As I am writing this, I hear some rap rhythm coming from distant iPhone speakers. If I am allowed to call it rap as I exist in the grey zone of that definition.
simao,

By the way and unrelated to rap, but related to your posts, I have mentioned you this afternoon. In fact, you made me do it. I saw a woman with three kids, I think she was their nanny, across the street. One was in the stroller, one was maybe 7 years old, and the troublemaker might have been three, at most 4. That one was screaming, pushing, kicking, raising hell there. Temper tantrum in full swing. The woman was trying, but it was painful to watch her frustration. I thought of you and crossed the street. Long story short, in about 20-30 seconds, the girl was quiet and ready to follow wherever they were to go. The woman called me an angel and was thanking me. I told her "Thank the guy on the Internet, he made me do it."
danvignau,

"glupson thanks you for clearing that up about Richard Wright and "Money". I wondered if I had traveled to another dimension."

No, that would have been a medley of The Great Gig in the Sky and Astronomy Domine.
How many 21-year-olds want to know what happened during prehistoric times?
orpheus10,

It seems that the world outside your door has changed since the last time you checked. It expanded a bit. The identity is still there, to some extent, but individuals look a little more diverse than before iPhone. They are all over the place. Maybe even Antarctica.
"This has to do with specific words written by specific individuals."

And then you bring specific word to where there was no mention of one. Assuming that everyone is an ignorant old white guy makes you look, ahem, ignorant.

Specifically, be as individual as you have always wanted to be, but why do you insult people because of your frustration? It is ok to wear make up, we really do not care.
onhwy61,

"Glupson, my Richard Wright vs. your Richard Wright? Your privilege is showing!"
I did not know about Richard simao was referring to while I did know about the one from Pink Floyd. I am not sure where any privilege fits in that. That I have Wish You Were Here SACD?

The rest of your post, short of the part about technicalities of recording, I have been trying to make people aware of for days, but with no success. The latest is that, if it is not performed in the ghetto of U.S.A. cities by black people, it cannot be called rap.
"In the world of "Rhyming Music" that imitates "Rap" we can have anything."

There is a moment when a person discovers that everything has been influenced by something. Depending of how narrow-viewed a person is, some may even say that everything is a copy of something. Rap included. Copying African rhythms, Vienesse techniques, sampling songs by others. A cocktail, not the ground zero.
Who wrote that definition? Not a person with much of the view.

Sorry, but U.S.A. rap is a minority in the world of rap these days. Why are people so scared to have something "theirs" enjoyed and built-upon by others? One would think there would be some pride in that.

Thank goodness it developed that way. Otherwise millercarbon might actually be correct. Like this, there is rap that mentions no Uzi, no names for women, or whoever, like Cardi B does. I guess, the best that teacher can hope for is that the student becomes better than that teacher.

Or, should we consider rap being a facsimile?

Sprechgesang - Wikipedia
In case anyone thought my placement of Money by Pink Floyd was micro-aggression and had nothing to do with rap...

I invite you to Money by Cardi B. Same things. Big large bills, car (coupe in this case), boarding jets. I just haven't decided if I should mention misandry at this moment.
simao,

I am not, but I am very familiar with Austrian geography and some other details. Cakes and all that.

Falco was, in fact, quite a world star at some point. He was not what would first come to one’s mind when talking about rap, except that he had a few songs that were simply rap enough for even U.S.A. rappers to redo them. I linked in one of those defunct threads to Rock me Amadeus remake. No violence, no misogyny there. Unless you consider "all the women liked him and called him Come and rock me Amadeus“ as misogyny. Come to think of it, it was just the opposite, he was to be an object.

I am yet to find out why, for example, Der Kommissar would not qualify as rap just because the performer was not a poor guy from the Bronx. Remember, this was in the early 1980s, or so. The time when some other posts were mentioning as the time of growing rap scene in New York City. By then, rap was already in, no less, Vienna. And nobody there had heard of all the events and names mentioned in this thread as important cultural influences.

Falco - Der Kommissar (Official Video) - YouTube

Here are the English lyrics.

der kommissar - Google Search

Falco - Vienna Calling (Official Video) - YouTube

And, to end it, this is the face of rap these days...

Leon || Falco - Rock Me Amadeus || The Voice Kids 2019 (Germany) - YouTube
Many people in New York City, regardless of skin color, do not consider their lives a nightmare any more than people in Madison, Wisconsin. From the outside, it may seem like nightmare, but many would never want to leave.
simao,

"Interesting - and maybe a synecdoche for the divide these threads have revealed on this board."
In my case, I have never heard of "your" Richard Wright. You have probably not heard of some of the things I have mentioned. We overlap on "my" Richard Wright. Now I have learned about "your" Richard Wright. Maybe, you will learn about Articolo 31, Falco, TBF, and whatever other rap examples (non-aggressive, non-mysogynic) I have been submitting for days. Even I forgot what I put out there. Maybe, only maybe, you will accept my view of majority of rap around the world having nothing to do with U.S.A. politics of 1950s, or whenever.

Pinyin Lyrics 福克斯 (Fu Ke Si) – 深夜隨筆 (Shen Ye Sui Bi) 拼音歌詞版 | Ali Lyrics - YouTube