Why Put Up With "Wife Approval Factor"?

During the past few weeks there have been a number of posts regarding finding cables, racks, and other items that wives and girlfriends "approve" of. It would appear that some of these choices have to be made so as not to "disturb" or "change" some type of decorating plan. Or that the choices might "clash" with the existing decor or home layout.
This leads me to question just "how important" audio really is for some of these folks. Or to maybe tweak a few noses the wrong way, ask how henpecked are some of these people? Haven't they made it clear to the wife or girlfriend that audio is a serious long-term interest; not just an expensive way to play background music? Haven't they made it clear that a first rate audio system is every bit as important to them as a nice jewelry item or set of furniture is to the wife or girlfriend?
While I realize that some of us have the luxury of a dedicated listening room; for many of us the family room or
living room is where the bulk of our main audio systems reside. What's wrong with having a nice looking audio set-up
in those rooms? The days of "sitting rooms" where TV screens and audio equipment are hidden is long gone. The only places that type of space exist any longer are in those "decorator" magazines that show the homes of the well-to-do and other decorators.
What are your thoughts?
avideo

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

Avideo:

Well, for me, I'm not married per se (not yet anyway), but I do have a girlfriend right now. It also needs to be said that my girlfriend and I do not live together either, and therefore, we maintain separate residences. She comes over to my "pad" for a time or two, and then I spend time with her at hers, also on the same occasion. And nothing against those who choose to live with their better halves, but I kind of prefer it that way. You see, that way, I can set up my living/listening room the way I see fit without her either objecting or interfering as to the way my surroundings are set up. It is either she accepts things the way they are, or that she cannot either come over at all, or if she's over there already, she's welcome to leave. And the way I have my audio system set up is this:

(01). I have my speaker system on the short wall of my living room, which are one-and-a-half feet in front of my window into the room (with about another foot of space from the side walls).

(02). My equipment rack is located at the right of my listening chair, with my amp located in between my speakers.

(03). I also have a black leather recliner with side pockets (to store remote controls for my preamplifier and my cd player) with a matching ottman (if this is spelled correctly) that is about four feet from in front of the speaker system (which are slightly toed in) that is placed in between the speakers on an even listening axis, for the best sweet spot possible.

And all of this is with a camel back loveseat being situated on the left wall a few inches down from my left speaker, and a cherry wood queen anne desk with my pc on it placed right next to it.

Now, if she and I were living together, and if we are maintaining this residence together, then more than likely, she may have a say as to how the audio system is set up in our listening room. Or worse yet, she may object to me having a "high-end" audio system at all. Because then, the way she may see it, the more money I spend on my audio system, then that means there's less money to for me to spend on her, and to me, that's something I wouldn't have a problem with. Because like audio systems (and cars too), women are high maintainance, and they cost money too. Just like "Thedautch", some cost more, and others cost less. But the bottom line is, women cost money too. So with that said then, if I had my way, I prefer to put my money into my audio system, and just as assume have me a female companion on occasion. Because unlike a woman, if you get the right audio system, it won't go into mood swings, temper tantrums, or it won't say no like a woman can and will do sometimes.

And to think that we're talking about getting married?!?!?!?! Shit....... maybe I better wait awhile. At least until we get a house. That way, if the house is big enough, then as long as I get one room in the house in which I can put my stuff in, then maybe I can have one that is big enough to put in the kind of system that I want to put into it. She can have the rest of the house to design and decorate the way she sees fit. But as long as I have a room which I can call "MY" room. Then things can be helter skelter.

Because I'll say this much, if we are to get married, if she can have a say when it comes to picking out a nice painting to go into the living room, what kind of furniture she wants to put inside of it, whether or not we splurge for that "stainless steel" gourmet kitchen with a center island, and kind of washer and dryer we're going to buy, then surely, with my room, I should be able to pick out either some custom made Vandersteens or some rosewood speakers that are about four feet tall, spend thousands of dollars on amplifiers, or get me a fancy turntable or cd player without having to bitch, moan, pick and nag all the goddamn time.

That's just it. As men, sometimes, we just got to put our feet down. To me, I think that's just something we as men don't get to do enough of a great deal of the time.

--Charles--