Why do no audio enthusiasts use McIntosh?

With the exception of some of there tube gear, not many really use this stuff(or admit to it anyway), I am mainly referring to there amps. They look pleasant, they look good on paper and have the price of high end gear, but I seldom hear anyone claiming to like or one day dreaming of owning McIntosh. I have never really listened to there stuff, no good word of mouth sort of scares me away from it, the only people who like it are those who sell it, an uncanny coincidence? I don’t know. Sorry it this has been covered many times in the past, I ran a search and could not find anything.
tireguy
Since I was a wee little nipper ther was always music. A suitcase record player at 5, small tape player at 7, a boom box with detachable speakers at 11, hand me down 70's system from an uncle at 13, the family Harmon Kardon with Pioneer speakers at 14-15, then at 19 I got the "itis". Am now on my 3rd big system 2nd of which is Mc. 13 years ago I tried the others and preferred the Mc. Presently finishing up my curent rig and still prefer the Mc. I can't imagine not giving Mc a listen.
What is an "audio enthusiast"? If you mean people who love listening to recorded music, then I suspect that many people with iPods and earbuds better meet the criteria, while many people who churn through audio equipment are not. I suspect the latter group actually exhibits some form of OCD, not "audio enthusiasm". The evidence is the number of people trying to sell mega-buck components because they need money. Makes me wonder what delusion they were under when they bought the component in the first place.

In any case, I used to own a Mac MC275 and upgraded to a VAC Phi 200, at more than double the price. The VAC is a better amp. However, it in no way embarrasses the MC275.
i dont have any MC components yet - looking for something good , so i can cmpare to Accuphase (have quite a few - seperates and integraded)...
but after reading this thread - i think that MC is like a Rolex in watch world - if you wear one, most of the people will recognize it as a expansive and best watch... i do have one and few other brands (Patek, Zenith, blancpain..) - i stopped wearing rolex - too many people made comments about it.. i do wear other ones and quite offten people comment on the other ones.... they suggest to me to buy rolex - " now this is a good watch, the best".... yes, i just nod my head.
that is why i want to try MC - just to see if it is what people say about it.
but if someone wants to show to people the money - buy a rolex, 90% will recognize the mark and price right a way....
maybe it is true with MC too..., will test once i get it.
10-14-11: Hakuchosan
i think that MC is like a Rolex in watch world - if you wear one, most of the people will recognize it as a expansive and best watch... i do have one and few other brands (Patek, Zenith, blancpain..) - i stopped wearing rolex - too many people made comments about it.. i do wear other ones and quite offten people comment on the other ones.... they suggest to me to buy rolex - " now this is a good watch, the best".... yes, i just nod my head.

Rolex with its history for making the first diving watch and the date complication, I think it would be just a natural response for most people to recognize it as an icon in the horological sense. Rolex watches are still affordable compared to Patek's astronomical pricing. Whatever it is I don't blame people who thinks they are the best. Perhaps best for value? iconic design? Usability? Fashion? Personally, I prefer JLC.

Macs has its own history too, you're right... an iconic brand as well. They are really good with some speakers, B&W, Totems, Paradigms....IME., Try it if it matches your system and let us know.
Wow

And the saga continues over the years. I was one who came up believing that Mac gear was just a pioneer of its day and that with CJ, Krell, Rolland, Threshold, et al anyone who bought Mac just did not know what "real" high end was. I have had them all and recently picked up an old Threshold S500 that I had Jon Soderber tweek out to the max hoping it would bring me back to when I owened an Sa4e that was probably my favorite amp of all time driving my B&W 801's UNTIL now. I picked up some B&W 802 N and the Threshold just did not let the speakers shine. I read on the blogs that a lot of people seemed to like the Mac power amps with them so I bought on a whim a like new MC 402 stereo amp. Wow, I could not believe how unbelievable it sounded. I was using a CJ Preimier 17 pre-amp and tried a friends SS MF 308CR that believe it or not bettered the CJ so I bought one. Now I had a chance to get a C2200 Mac tube pre for a great deal and it should be coming this week. I do not know what to expect but sure hope it will be as good as or better than my MF as I would love to have the matching set. It really is all about the sound but I do like the looks too especially when the lights are out. SOOOOO I must confess I am no longer a snob and realize this new Mac gear, (at least my amp) is killer. Now I will have to get advice on tube rolling but then again what sounds right for you may not be right for me.