Why do I like the Denon 103r so much?

I have a Shelter 5000 but I got a great deal on a Denon 103R that I would try for fun or to have a cheap cartridge for crappy records. I put it on today and I'm floored...it is so alive..so forward, but in a great way. Is the Shelter too smooth, is it broken? Im confused, why do I like the Denon so much?
jeff1225

Showing 3 responses by fjn04

I am setting up a second system, and am interested in the 103. I own the A23 (Denon 103) Step UP Transformer, which I occasionally use in my main system.
The thing is, getting a compatible TT/ Tonearm setup that will work. I believe the 103 likes a heavier arm, at least medium mass...? Any suggestions here?
My price range is around 2K for BOTH table and Tonearm.
Thanks All,The Jelco looks interesting. It reminds me of the Ortofon 212 arm, but for less money. The thing is, finding a current production table w/ the Jelco, and a dealer for them. I didn't see much online. The Amadeus is in my main system, so I could always mount the 103 on it, and try it in my new setup. Trying that first, would make sense. I think so highly of he Amadeus, that the SIMPLEX crossed my mind already. it just comes in under budget too. I think the arm is shorter than the Amadeus, so I will do some homework on that. Besides the Simplex, there is a Technics SL 1210 w/ a Jelco for sale here, but not so sure about going w/ the SL 1210. One of the Rega models with their heavier arms, is apparently also a good match.
I spoke with a dealer for Denon cartridges, and they suggest a Rega table, or a VPI Traveler. These, along w/ the WT Simplex, are all within budget. Beyond that, it would seem like I am dealing with tables not in current production, to mount a med/high mass arm. Not sure I want to go there, so I will likely go forward with one of the above.