Why Are There So Many Audio Research Reference 5SE's For Sale

Been looking for a tubed preamp with high quality balance capabilities. Was looking at the Ref 5SE's but there seems to be many available. Generally when you see that there is some kind of issue. Sometimes they want to move up the line to the latest or they just arent that good. Case in point when was the last VAC Signature you saw out here. The good stuff seems to be rare and when they show they go fast. Comments and recommendations welcome.

fooolish1

Showing 1 response by tomic601

there are many reviews of the 5se out there OP
it is a great preamp but not for everybody
it does benefit from tube rolling, isolation running it balanced and mating it up with ancillary components with synergy.
i get fantastic sound out of mine which i have owned since it debuted. it is an upgraded 5 and 5 could go back to factory and be upgraded. most people can hear a clear difference between the 5 and the SE ( really across the line - ARC changed some components that benefited the whole line - cynics and those prone to hyperbole will say they planned it - doubt that - fierce competitors putting out product they know is not their best - doubtfull.
take a look at my virtual system and you should get some idea of the tools at my disposal to evaluate a preamp
my next upgrade will not be the ref5se but will be poweramp
finally i have heard really good sound from other preamps, aint it great to have choices