Why are my woofers pumping?

The other day, with sunlight direct from the side, I noticed that the woofers in my speakers are pumping in and out, much more than I was aware of, when the stylus is in the groove, even between tracks (no music).  I can see it, even if I don’t hear it. Why does it happen? The woofers behave normally (no pumping) with digital music, and when the stylus it lifted from the groove, so it is not the speakers, amps, preamp or phono stage. 

I’ve read that the typical reason for woofer pumping is that the cartridge / arm resonance is too low.  I tested, with my Hifi News test record, and yes, the lateral test puts the resonance at 7 hz or so – too low (but I’ve seen some doubts about the results from that test record).  It is strange, since the combo I use – Lyra Atlas cartridge and  SME V arm (on a Hanss T-30 player) is supposed to work well. I tried to strip my arm of extras, cleaned the damping trough, etc – but it did not help much.

Anyone has an idea, why it happens, or what to do about it?  

Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter

Showing 8 responses by invictus005

There’s nothing you can do. It's normal. SME V has already a very low effective mass of 9.5g.

Lyra is a very heavy cartridge at almost 12 grams. It’s compliance is 12 at 100Hz, so probably 21-23 at 10Hz.

Just live with it and when the stylus wears out get something else.

Whatever you do, don't get a subsonic filter, unless of course you want to kill good sound.
These mismatches exist and you’ll never figure out why, nor will you ever fix it. Just enjoy the music. SME V is arguably the best tonearm in the world ever made. And Lyra makes superb high end MC cartridges, even if I’m not the biggest fan.

Rumble filters not only ruin the bass, but suck the life out of the entire system.
Your problem is most likely a combination of ununiform belt thickness, not precise pulleys, motor rumble, not precise bearing. They all combine and create a mechanical shimmer in the turntable's suspension. 

While playing the runout groove and watching the woofers move in and out. Gently, but firmly place your hands on the plinth and try to very carefully hold it in place. The woofers should move in and out less.
This has to be the most ridiculous thread on Audiogon at the moment. Everything and all of it. OP, I told you it’s a problem YOU can’t solve. Just enjoy the music. Some of these things are just part of vinyl. Many comments here have crossed the line of insanity. Seems like some people want to end up in a mental hospital?