Which is better: separates or receiver?

My husband and I are considering integrating our stereo with our home theater. I am looking for any advice on which is better, running with a 5 channel amp and a preamp/processor, or using a big HT receiver. Any recommendations are appreciated. We are working with a budget not exceeding $3000.
emily

Showing 2 responses by chaskelljr2001

Emily:

I think that would depend on a few factors. And those factors would be (1). What is the size of your room, (2). what are the size of your speakers, and (3). how far are you willing to go (i.e.: 30/70, 40/60, 50/50 music/movies, or 60/40 or 70/30 music/movies).

If it is the latter, then I would be going with separates, otherwise, if this going to be a 50/50 type of system and if you or your hubby is not seriously into listening to music, then I think a receiver would make better sense. If I were going with separates and want something of a musical pedgree, and only have about $3K to spend, then the only thing I would go for would be the Anthem pre/pro and their matching amp. But with the pre/pro going for about $2,500.00, that doesn't leave much money for an amp, does it?? So in this case then, I think a receiver is probably your best option. And at $3K, there are a lot of good receivers out there. Two of which I would look at would be the Denon AVR-5800 and a Marantz SR-19. I hope this helps. Good Luck.
But like I said again, that would depend on how far Emily wants to go. If all she and hubby wants to do mostly is look at movies and all, then I wouldn't advise her, per se, to purchase separates. If all she and hubby is going to do is look at movies, then there are a number of very good "top-of-the-line" A/V Receivers available for about $3K (like I said, there are models from Denon and Marantz, but I would also like to add Yamaha, Rotel, Pioneer Elite and Sony ES to the mix), some for considerably less than $3K. But now on the other hand, if she and hubby are music buffs and all, then I would say she should go for something more ambitious than an A/R Receiver (and that means separates). If I were to go the separates route, then I could do one of the following.

(01). Rotel RSP-985 Pre/Pro -- $1,200.00 + Rotel RMB-1075 5 Channel Power Amp -- $1,300.00.

(02). Adcom Tuner/Pre/Pro -- $1,500.00 + Adcom GFA-7500 5 Channel Power Amp -- $1,500.00 (Just like Jerie has said).

OR

(03). Lexicon DC-1 Pre/Pro -- $1,300.00 (Used) + Outlaw 5 Channel Power Amplifier -- $1,100.00 (on the internet only..... @ www.outlawaudio.com).

But whatever she decides to do, I'm sure she and hubby are going to be quite happy.

I wish her the best of luck.

--Charles--