Where to next? From LP12 to what 3-4000 TT?

I am seriously thinking of selling or trading my LP12. It is a great sounding table, but really don't want to invest the time and effort in setting it up whenever it needs to be tweeked. I want a TT that sounds as good or close and really am hoping to get in for less thatn 4000 including arm. As mentioned this has been a great sounding table, but I really don't like the fact that I have to take it to a dealer for setup. I had a P25 before and it was so simplistic that I miss those days. Thinking Clear Audio, VPI, Thorens, or Rega P9. But looking for suggestions.
128x128theo

Showing 2 responses by clio09

I own the Scheu Premier with the 50mm platter and it is a very good table. Degree of set-up difficulty is left up to the arm and cartridge you buy.

In your budget you should also check out the Galibier Serac with Artisan tonearm. Just under 4k or just over 4k if you get the table/arm/cartridge package.

FWIW - even though I own the Scheu I've gotten great results recently with a B&O Beogram 4500 linear tracking turntable, whose performance approaches the Scheu. It doesn't get much simpler IMO. You may want to investigate a table with linear tracking arm as an option as well.
I am not sure if all linear tracking tables are created equal. On mine though all I have to do is set the VTF. No worries about alignment, anti-skating, or VTA. Tracking is more accurate from what I've been told than non-linear tracking set-ups.