Where can one purchase lead shot for speakers?

Hi,

I'm putting together a new system and just purchased a pair of Von Schweikert VR4jrs. They will arrive in about a week so I am trying to prepare everything for their arrival. This is the first pair of speakers that I will own that take lead shot to improve their bass. I have no idea where to even start looking for a place to purchase the shot. Can anybody tell me where I might find some? I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and I'm really hoping to be able to buy it locally as opposed to having it shipped in since it would be very costly to do so.

Thanks,

Bill
thebclshow
I do agree with Don_s as his arguments are valid and make sense although not everybody will have the same notion and continue to use lead in domestic applications. Apart from laws and regulations, think about the safety of your family and loved ones. For normal household the presence of this toxic material inside speaker stands will only bring potential danger not only to adults but small children as well especially toddlers. You would never know if some of these fine particles have leaked out from the stands and exposed to the environment. Better be safe than sorry.

A bit off topic- Nordost packaging usually states "LEAD FREE - Save our environment" on a green sticker featuring a pine tree. Didn't expect the brand to be an environmental activist.
Lead as a straight metal is relatively harmless. It's the Lead Compounds that are toxic. And even then they become toxic only when taken into the body. Keep any lead shot dry, handle with gloves, and don't breathe the dust (if any). If you touch Lead - simply wash your hands afterwards. That's what I do after soldering.
For a little perspective, and a statistic for those so inclined, my personal experience.

After 40 years of daily professional exposure to lead, in totally haphazard and uncontrolled conditions, I thought it wise to ask my doctor to test my blood Pb levels at my last physical.

The test came back as 6 ug/dcl, barely above background levels.

As to disposal, lead has been re-cycled for thousands of years. Look in the yellow pages for metal re-cyclers (formerly know as junk yards). Not only will they take lead but they will pay you for in.

Some will say no lead level is safe, but they usually have an ax to grind, like a profitable law suit, a book to sell, or a career in law enforcement. (yes I am talking to you)

So be careful, use a mask and gloves, don't dump it in the yard or feed it to your kids.

On the other hand, there are other things you could use, so maybe that is the way to go.
They could not provide any statistics of death or illness related cases reported to them. They had no other statistics other than children under 6. And those stats reflect that out of 23 million children 8000 had levels higher than 10, and less then 64 had levels above 50, which is the level that can cause illness and seizures. NO reported deaths

I have the stats if you want them
I have the same conclusion as Joey lawn, someone has an ax to grind or an agenda when its related to Lead

CDC - 202-564-7873
The header was cut off, I did the research yesterday. I contacted the EPA and CDC.