What was your first big eye opener with regard to audio?

Hello friends,

what was the most fascinating thing you did with the compilation or optimization of your system in terms of SQ or performance, that really got your attention in either a good or bad way?

what was it that actually impressed or surprized you once it was in place?

or what DIY project was it that once done really gave your audio system a big shot in the arm SQ-wise?

maybe it was simply finding out just how much some items could cost

something always seems to take place that changes our philosophies or understandings and maybe even our approach to arranging a fine audio system.

what was your’s?

Perhaps it was buying a quality rack, platform, or maybe a pr. of amp stands?

rolling tubes? adding iso footers?

biting the bullet and bringing in a decidedly  more expensive or merely a different electronic component? DAC? Line stage? Mono blocks? Speakers?

what amazing things could be done with as little as 8wpc?

for example, my ‘eye opening’ events came two  fold. adding power line conditioning and using upscale wires/cables, or power cords.

which of these came first I’m not sure but all of them  came with a huge amount of prejudice on my part as to them doing anything positive to the quality of the sound, but indeed they did!

other things came along with nearly the impact or mind altering impact but those were the initial items that paved the way for me to keep an open mind with respect to building an audio system and preserving its synergy.

what was or has been your epiphany? your most surprising  ‘move’ in audio land?

blindjim
When I met the Florida B&W, Audire (And More) rep, and his personal system was a Threshold preamp, Audire amp, and rather large Armstrong two way speakers, I realized that my big Phase Linear, Stacked Advent system was dinosaur tech, sound wise.   I still have never seen other Armstrong speakers. Within a year, I had Audire electronics, B&W speakers, and a Supex M/C cartridge (replaced Ortophon M/C) to go with the only pieces I kept, my dearly beloved KT-917 tuner, plus my Kenwood marble slab TT, but with a better arm over  the original SME.  My upgrades have stuck with Audire and B&W, and I don't give a hoot that some of you dislike B&W. (I also own a Bryston powered system.) I did have electrostatics for 25 plus years, but never totally got rid of my system's B&W's, although I do now run a second, matching Audire amp and preamp into subs I built.  An interesting system I ran along with my 'Stats, was stacked B&W DM14's  (with subs).  The "Stats were great mids for these speakers. Alas, my retirement house is now smaller than my old listening room, but the 600 square feet main room (most of my house) and tall ceilings are great.

the DIY nd tweaking to optimize ones system are key to enjoying and understanding the hobby.

MOniker = it seemed the shortest, simplest path to an end. 

growing is about gaining new view points and leaving behind those which prove futile or have been found out as unworthy. I've hd several pairs of bW speakers thru the years. they adore power and IMO need added smoothness or tubes in the signal chain somewhere to be at their best. 

the current line of bW seem to have finally had many of their previous shortcomings amended successfully. Or so I read about in the 802 and 800 D IIIs. 

there are other speakers however. tons of them and every speaker talks to this person or that, esthetically and or sonically.

regardless the expense or economy of one's system, this is about the enjoyment of music with an eye towards the system's build, and then, its optimization. where ever that last bit finds one, should be good for them no matter the dollars invested.

one fascinating eye opener IMO is how far one can yet enhance the sound of any system thru acoustical and isolation treatments as applied to the room and or the components.
In college the guy next door had a Phase linear amp w/ Braun 810 speakers and a Thrones turntable. That did it. He later got ADS speakers and the Braun's came my way for a song. (The Phase linear amp blew up/out) Blue rondo a la turk was the first thing I heard. That did it too.

Can't recall what was for lunch three days ago but clearly remember the first time I heard that system back in the days of Acapulco Gold. 
First one was adding dedicated stereo amp (hybrid) insted of hearing music though AV PreqPro set, this was ear opener.

Second one was changing power cable, i was shoked from the diffarance as i didnot belief such diffarent existent.

Everything matters.

How much, when, and where are the mysteries that make the Audio hobby interesting and often, exciting.