What tubes for ARC LS 5 preamp - 6922/6DJ8

Hi,

I'm a neophyte as far as tube rolling goes
I have an ARC LS 5 preamp which has 10 6922/6DJ8 tubes

I currently have the Soltek 6922 Russian tubes that Arc stocks in their units

can anyone recommend a tube or combinations of tubes to achieve warmth, transparency, tonal balance, richness etc.
(less transistor like - more musicality)

probably not looking at the ultra expensive, but the best bang for the buck a step or two above the stock solteks

also can anyone recommend an online vendor or audiogon member who sells quality tubes at reasonable rates

thanks a lot

Tom
128x128audiotomb

Showing 2 responses by albertporter

Unfortunately this is a very difficult tube to get as NOS and the ones that sound good are continuing to increase in price. There are no good new 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 tubes being manufactured (in my opinion).

The Amperex 7308 may be best for your needs. This was a military tube, stunningly clean, very fast and very low distortion. When I owned ARC it was my overall favorite. The only other choice might be the Siemens E288CC. I have a bunch of these and run them in certain audio gear, not sure if the ARC will "digest" them though.

For the Amperex (USA) 7308, contact Bruce Wenger at BWS Tube. 703-536-3910. He has a large supply of the Amperex and E288CC Siemens as well. He may know if the ARC circuit supports the Siemens. His web link below:

http://www.bws-tube.com/
That is a good suggestion and offer for you Audiotomb. The tube Ed is suggesting absolutely will work in that circuit and is a bit warmer than the Military 7308.

Either will murder the Sovtek you have been listening to.