What tube preamp to go with McIntosh MC275?

Hi,
I currently connect my DAC directly into my power amps.  Both my power amps has volume controls.  They are McIntosh MC275 and a customer built 300B.  Actully, I think they sound good, but I am wondering if it can be improved further by adding a preamp.  My speaker is Harbeth 40.1.  I don't need louder volume, so, I am purely looking for something to improve the sound.  If you ask me what I am looking for, I think bigger soundstage, more life-like, and more slam in the bass, I guess.

Any suggestions?  I can see many preamps use 6SN7 tubes, but my custom built 300B already have 4 6SN7s, I am not sure if it will make much difference by adding more 6SN7.  Would 45 make a good preamp tube?
gte357s

Showing 2 responses by oldhvymec

I’m a Mac guy, The best sounding preamp I have is a rebuilt C20 by Mike Samra, Then I added a thing or two. So purest will bellow that nothing in between is better.. BS. That C20 and MC275 are made for each other.. Choose good speakers. They will show EVERY flaw in BAD speakers.

Enjoy life, C20 has a bass contour on the back, complete tone control, and loudness. It may sound a little old fashion. BUT IT WORKS perfect. I added a Zpre3 in the tape loop, that adds sub out and remote control.

Works just wonderfully. It will raise the roof with my 90% efc. speakers
A pair of 12" drivers, one is a MB one is a SUB. That combo has bass all day long...A (200 watt morel) mid dome, inverted dome tweet, and a UHF Ribbon, a 5 way.
VMPS TIISE, with a driver swap. My Macs make them just BOOGIE.
Slam does come to mind... clear to 19 hz + or - 3 db. 100 db or close.

Great rock and roll speakers, or you can get very good results from small planars, speakers, my goto monitor speaker anymore, Planars and ribbons.. I just love um..

Regards
oldhvymec1.... So your telling the OP to get rid of his $15,000 speakers!? I think hes asking for advice on a Pre amp?

Not at all, I'm saying a 90% speaker with a 275 Mac and a C20 will have all the Umph you'll need.  I have a C2500, very close to the C22 (re)
BUT my C20, will just whip the pants off of the new stuff, just no remote.
MX110, MX120, MX121, C22 (early) 2 C20s, a C11, pair of C8s. I have a few pieces.
The C20 is the BOMB.. When it's right... FEW get even close. 60 years old. Cary, AR, VTL, I've had them all and still do have a few. That Mac, and something about the "Samra touch". (Red sock green sock guy)

Wonderful a Wonderful!!

Regards