What sound diff. can I expect from PrimaLuna EVO 400 pre and power amps VS an EVO400 int.

I like the tube sound. How much better will the sound of an EVO 400pre and EVO 400 power amp setup be than that I would get from their EVO 400 integrated amp?  (I like classical (the 1400s -1900s music) and soft Jaz.). I am into vinyl and CDs on occasion  I just wonder if the expense is worth an empty bank account, or if it would be noticeable.

Also, is the PrinaLuna phono stage for MC cartridges any good?

Another option is the EVO 400 preamp and a solid-state amp.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

oldgoat912

Showing 1 response by audioman58

The 400 Evo I would-not recommend  ,you loose a lot of resolution in the volume pot if it’s a round silver $20 alps type  , several  several tech friends build preamps from scratch ,that is the 1st thing they discourage  what good is have a well built machine and then at its volume attenuator you have junk ?

I soldAudio for years you want either a relay type ,or resistive ladder type , a separate transformer type are excellent also but-very expensive.

These types  take up. More space and much more expensive to build, these alps type are just plastic wipers with a conductive coating ,you loose a lot of low level detail  with these cheaper type .that's fine for a $1 k or less  preamp , also your power supplies are very important to keep the performance from drifting especially when the volume is turned up,or things get complex.