What's your profession? Age?

Just thought after the "how much is your system worth" post that it would be nice to see what all these people do to get $80K systems, and perhaps how long it takes. I'm a 29-year old economist for the gov., just completeed my Ph.D. last month, and my system is at about $10K. Just a pup hoping to keep upgrading...
128x128felthove
57 year old attorney. 80K plus system. Took about 11 years to get to where it is today. More work to be done.
Great thread idea, a 13 yr old thread is a beautiful thing! I'm 47, an electrician living outside of Vancouver Canada. My current 2 channel rig would retail for 11K, and the theater about 10K, thought I paid much less for both.

I restarted the 2 channel system in earnest with a used pair of speakers that go for 6K new, buying some bargain electronics to run them, big mistake. It took me a good while to sort that out with gear that had good synergy and I finally love those speakers. Thanks Parasound.
The system is about 50 k now & growing. Love good: Rock / Blues & occasional Jazz & also time for some Clasical when in the mood. 5k Music library most cd/DVD/blue ray. Return to vinyl & getting this side of the collection sorted. As analogue as possible...
I probably responded to this thread at some point in the past. Practiced copyright law in NYC for 33+ years, semi-retired from the partnership of a large firm a few years ago to do other things (non-lawyer) in the music/film/tech fields. I teach part-time at UT Law School and have been involved in the music industry for decades. Split time between Austin and New York. I have a pretty good system, never added up what it cost~ seems kind of pointless since the stuff doesn't appreciate in value, though I appreciate it more, now that I have the time to listen it. My interest over the last couple years has been to locate the best sonic examples of vinyl pressings I can of music I enjoy. The process has helped me put the hi-fi endeavor into perspective- focusing on the music rather than the gear. (Been playing with hi-fi gear in a serious way since the very early 70's and still love that part too- but it is a means to an end. I'm approaching 60 years, a good time of life to make such changes.
45 year old educational software analyst and instructional designer. My current system retails about $12,000 (amp is second hand, so I paid about $9,000 for it all). Had a system that retailed for about $35,000 at one point but I just didn't enjoy music with it and started over. I've managed to find good synergy for reasonable cost right now and I plan to hold onto this system for awhile.

I've spent around $20,000 on media over the years (mostly vinyl and CDs but now adding high resolution downloads over CDs whenever possible). Probably close to that much in tickets and travel costs seeing live music over the years too.

Crap. I could have paid my house off by now if I didn't love this hobby so much.