What`s with the Hyperion HPS 938

Last year when the 938 went on the market , one rave review followed the other ,everybody seemed to be amazed with the level of performance this 4k speaker delivered. But the last months ,more and more stories appear of people hearing the 938 and dislike them very much.
One guy bought them for 1500usd but returned them after a trial home!!!
Or Steve Rochlin and companions are deaf or there is something really strange going on.
ctchen

Showing 3 responses by tara

I've had a different type of experience with the HPS 938.
I thought the sounds were OK for the money, nothing great, but what I'm griping about is the company's service.
I contacted the sale's manager (West Coast), regarding a replacement for a bass module. First he gave me a price quote only to retract it later and said that it was a typo, it was for one, not a pair like he first quoted. Then he said he was doing me a favor and gave me a 20% discount, then renaged that offer and said that his "boss" would only authorized a 10% discount.
I was fed up with the company and dumped the speakers for a loss, but IMHO, I think that support from a manufacturer is too important for this manufacturer to behave in such way.
Take McIntosh for an example, I needed new KT88 tubes for my MC275 and contacted them, got them in 3 days ($400 in cost) for no charge and no question asked. That's why Mac has been in business for 50 yrs. I'm not sure if Hyperion will be around after next yr.
Just my 2 cents.
Tim
Ghil.
I was matching the HPS 938 with my McIntosh MC275 and a lamm LL2 Deluxe.
Like I said, they were OK for the money but nothing spectacular like some of the reviewers said.
I think better result could be obtained with even a pair of Totem Forrest for example.
Tim
Cel.,
I agree w/ you on the low fq regarding the HPS 938 vs. the Forrest. Good ears Cel.
Tim