What's inside the plinth of your Garrard 401?

I will soon take delivery of a Garrard 401. I have seen pictures of the unit and it will come without a plinth. So - as I go through the Virtual Systems to look at plinths of 401 owners, I notice most of them are custom-made and very creative.

How did you make such a beautiful table? Did your carpenter do it? Did it yourself? What kind of wood and how much should you pay for it? And what's inside the plinth?

Thanks,
George
ngeorge

Showing 2 responses by lewm

Get the 60Hz pulley, but don't buy the cheap version, which I believe is sold on eBay (but I could be wrong; the one on eBay could be perfectly OK). Search some of the Garrard websites for guidance on which reproduction 60Hz pulley to purchase; I believe the best one is made by a private individual in Europe, on a per order basis. The cheap version is not well machined and does not give stable speed.
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question about the 60Hz pulley and sped adjustment as I have never played with a 401. I do own a 301, but it is not in use because I still need to buy or build a plinth for it. I am currently too happy with my Lenco to worry about a plinth for the 301. But this is the reason I urged you to go to a Garrard specialty website. You will get all the guidance you need from those guys.

Re your remarks about 401 v 301, I'm pretty sure I've read on the web that the bearing/spindle/platter for at least the late 301 is identical to that of a 401, so, barring differences between the motors (minimal if any at all) and chassis' (possibly the 301 chassis is stiffer and better damped due to thicker metal), there should be very little difference in sonics between the two. The 301 has more of a cult status and so commands higher prices and more adulation, I guess.