What's a great multi format player under a $1,000?

Hey folks, I'm stumped. I would like to get a multi format player for under a grand. New or used, don't matter to me... much. Primarily for DVDA & DVD... though one that does the rest of the disc types would be great.. CDR, CDRW, photos, SAcd TOO, (what the hey), etc.

I'd also prefer one that you don't have to mod. My short list has Marantz, & Integra, on it. Yep. that's short, huh? OSD is a must. Decent video, great sound thru onboard proc & analog outs, are the preffferences. go figure. Multi channel isn't too high on the list but yeah, throw that in too as a oh, by the way aspect.

Many thanks.
blindjim

Showing 3 responses by mdhoover

I own an Onkyo Integra DPC 8.5. It's certainly very decent, but not phenomenal from a sound standpoint. I do get a spectacular sonic improvement when it's used with the Dodson 217 Mark II D DAC that I own. It's a carousel changer and is quite versatile. It does have a video circuit shut-off switch, which improves the sound of the player noticeably, even if the DAC is being used. The remote is nice. Sometimes it makes a vibrating sound, and I think it's mostly when playing SACD's. I don't know why. It was the best compromise I could come up with given my insistence on a changer and a multiplayer. The DAC was a huge, huge, HUGE improvement. (HUGE). I'd give the Onkyo Integra a B or a B- overall for sonic quality, with the understanding that this is from an "audiophile" perspective. Most "regular" consumers (not persnickety Audiogon types like us) would probably rate it an A or A+, I'd guess.
When I said this:
"Sometimes it makes a vibrating sound, and I think it's mostly when playing SACD's. I don't know why."
I should have pointed out that this is not generally a very big issue, at least from the listening position. Since I don't have that many SACD's, it doesn't come up that much anyway. I've noticed it only a few times, and have no idea whether it's an overall design flaw in that model, or specific to my personal unit. The thing to do is to listen to one at the dealer and see if it does that when an SACD is put into it (or any other time, for that matter). I'd hate to be giving you a bum steer. I just don't think that the unit is going to sound like like a megabuck Wadia or something. How could it at that price?

Keep in mind, too, that the Onkyo unit IS capable of spectacular sound when it's used as a transport just feeding a bitstream to the DAC. The Onkyo works well with the Dodson and has the features I want, so I plan to keep it and don't at all regret buying it. It may be the best choice available for a universal player that also has a carousel and still has decent to good sound. I didn't say the unit is BAD, it just isn't SPECTACULAR (but, again, the Dodson goes a long way toward changing that). I have no complaints whatsoever about the DVD part of it; in fact it seems pretty darned good to me, but I'm also nowhere near as psychotically perfectionistic about video as I am audio. (Don't know why that is.)

The Dodson: My experience with other DAC's is zero, but people who "know" tell me that it's a spectacular unit, and one of the best ones out there. My ears tell me the same thing. I absolutely LOVE this unit! It's difficult to describe how excellent it is without resorting to audiophile cliches. It seems to improve dynamic range, detail, smoothness and musicality with no downside at all. Suffice it to say that I won't listen without it unless I have to. The Dodson 218 is said to be even better, but retails for close to 9,000 dollars. In fact, the 217 originally retailed somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 dollars, but I got mine for less than 2,000. I consider it to be the greatest deal I ever got on Audiogon.
-Bill
"I am thinking of swapping out my DAC & trying something different just to try it but the Onkyo will stay for the long haul."
-Fishwater
The Dodson 217 Mark II D with upgraded 218-like software is fabulous with the DPC 8.5, which (as you know) is the Onkyo unit a step BELOW yours. Just a thought if you decide to audition DAC's, nothing more. YMMV, etc.