What is the best HEAVY METAL speaker?

I know totally blasphemy question here on Audiogon. But you like what you like, right? Anyway, I know most metal music is totally compressed and recorded horrible (aka Metallica) however there is a new age of metal bands out there that are starting to change that (Opeth started with Blackwater Park). So what speakers out there can take the pounding of a double bass drum kit hitting at full throttle and give the roar of metal guitar justice. There has to be a set up that would make Glen Tipton turn his head and say hell ya!
128x128lizzardkingseattle
Great thread.   I'm still looking for a the right metal speaker.   Just wanted to chime in that I posted/lurked here many years ago and read lots of suggestions for Klipsch Heritage.   My current Dali speakers are great,  ive kept them for 10 years and I can't see parting with them.
 But as mentioned in other posts... well recorded metal just brings them to their knees.   They are a wonderful speaker but it is obvious they were not voiced with hard rock or metal in mind. 

Anyway, I tried the Klipsch Quartets.   Ebay find with the Crites midrange mod.  Overall, they are pretty nice, yes they do "rock", they will literally shake the walls with my Mcintosh 6900. They are a fun speaker.  They are great for what they do, but overall a bit unrefined for my taste. I lived with them for about a year, and I believe I don't care for the horn sound,  not that it is bad, its just its own thing. Its very forward, subtle is not a word I would use, I see why people like them, just not for me.   

I think there is WAY more to a good metal speaker than just being able to "rock" or shake the walls or whatever. Being loud doesn't mean it sounds good.  Details and dynamics, tight bass, clear smooth highs... served with a massive helping of metal guitar punch in the gut.   I'm starting to wonder at what price point do you get there..  ?    

I think there is WAY more to a good metal speaker than just being able to "rock" or shake the walls or whatever. Being loud doesn't mean it sounds good. Details and dynamics, tight bass, clear smooth highs... served with a massive helping of metal guitar punch in the gut.  I'm starting to wonder at what price point do you get there.. ?  
Sky's the limit!
The best metal speaker will also be the best classical, jazz, prog rock or downtempo 90s speaker as well.
Again, one of the biggest myths in audio is that speakers somehow are good for one genre as opposed to another. The JBL L100s are trotted out as a good example for 60s and 70s rock, but that is mostly because people that had them and were listening to that kind of music liked them. Speakers are mechanical transducers and don't care a whit about what you put through them as long as you don't burn them up.
Earl Root (RIP) pretty much founded the metal scene here in the Twin Cities. His goto speaker was the Snell model B. It went to 22hz and could be driven easily by tube amplifiers to satisfying levels. They were very revealing so it was helpful not to feed them with junk electronics. But all their properties made them good for classical, folk, ethnic, deep trance, techno, prog, jazz, acid jazz, acid folk, dub step, medieval, chamber, death metal, speed metal, hip hop, country AND western, downtempo 80s and a lot more.
  • Hughes & Kettner Alex Lifeson Signature Edition TriAmp MKII.  Is my dream setup.
Rush used H&K.  .     I use pa speakers for rock, turbosound brand and they are far from hifi speakers. 
Some of my favorites for metal, and I do like a bit of volume with my serving of metal.

Ohm Walsh 4000,4900,5000 (4900 is the best bargain of the bunch if buying new).  Or get some old 4's/5's and do the upgrade.  In a smaller room the 3000's or the older Sound Cyl's do a nice job (I have some beat to absolute piss Pro-200's I'm rocking to Trivium  "The Crusade" right now, they are my back-up speakers but still a fun listen).  One note with the Ohm's, you want a solid amount of power.

JBL 4367/M2

Older Klipsch Epic C4's (but with a subwoofer and the right electronics)

The Legacy Signature and Focus SE's

Wilsons with the soft dome tweeter.

The Tekton DI's do a nice job

Spatial M3sTurbo's (possibly with a sub) Note, these speakers put you in the front row.

I liked what I heard from the Golden Ear Triton 1's with some megadeth.  

Right now though my tops would be the Newer Ohm Walsh stuff (in the right room) or the JBL's I believe.