What is a typical life span of a stylus or cartrid

I have opt to make a purchase on a turntable that has roughly 30 hours of use on the table and cartridge.
A hifi shop has it and offered me $70.00 off regular price.
Any ideas?

Thanks

By the way, I am just getting back into vinyl. I am a borderline audiophile if you want to call me that lol.
Another words I have been into Hi end equipment for 20 years. Just budget minded till now.
skyclmbr

Showing 6 responses by rodman99999

Does your dealer carry this one? (http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/xpression3.htm) You might also consider the Rega(P2 & P3) table/arm combos, that have motor/arm upgrades available for future performance enhancement.
Hello Sky- Is that $70 off the regular price of a $200, or a $20,000 table?(BIG difference) Seriously: 30 hrs is not much time off the lifespan of any turntable/cartridge combo, and there really is no "typical life span" either. A cartridge's stylus will wear much more quickly, if subjected to dirt in the grooves of the records it's asked to track. Many don't realize just how abrasive that is. A cartridge's compliance(the rubber in which the cantilever is suspended) should last many years, before it's elasticity wanes. Then there's the cartridge's magnets, the table's/arm's bearings, belt and motor which should all be good for many years also. See if the dealer has a stylus microscope, and check the alignment/wear of the stylus. If straight and without evident wear, and you like the sound when auditioned with YOUR phono stage/pre-amp: buy the piece, and enjoy your return to vinyl.
If it were me(now that I know the price range): I'd buy a new unit(12% isn't much of a discount for used/demo gear). Still- I've never bought a cartridge(in the past 30+ years) without first inspecting the stylus, via a microscope. I've seen a number that were mis-aligned when mounted on the cantilever(new in the box), in that time. A lot depends on your trust of the dealer, and how much the $70 means to you. Can you believe his assessment of the time on the unit? Does he let cutomers mistreat his equipment?(unlikely, but possible). Like I said though- You should still audition the unit with your phono stage/pre-amp, before purchasing(new or demo unit).
Pro-ject doesn't sell upgrades for their tables(that I'm aware of), outside of a record clamp. Rega and VPI(for instance) sell arm/counterweight & wiring, motor & power supply, suspension, platter, record clamp and weight upgrades. VPI offers the most, but their entry level prices are higher. If you like to tweek, they make it easier on you.
You know Sky- I may have tossed too many curves by mentioning the Rega and VPI upgrades. I'm a tweek/upgrade freak, so that kind of stuff holds a lot of appeal for me. If you just compare the two Pro-ject tables; you'll probably find the Xpression III more satisfying musically than the Debut(the Oyster is a nice cartridge), and save yourself some gyrations/agonizing. Again I stress: Listen to them with your phono stage/pre-amp. Matching the output and sound of a cartridge, with the gain stages of your system is VERY critical. If the Pro-ject pieces seem too lean for you/your system; the Regas have a warmer(British) presentation, and may suit your tastes better.