What equipment upgrades or tweaks will improve the sound of drums?

Having just purchased a few quality vinyl recordings  of Elton John after watching Rocketman ignore his band, I'm looking for ways to improve the sound of Nigel Olsson's drumming.  My current system in a Line Magnetic tube amp, Rega Planar 3 w/Ortofon Blue Cartridge, and Audio Physic Step Plus speakers and a JL Audio sub (can't find model no right now).  I'm looking for the punch his drumming deserves.
TT upgrade?, cartridge? Other tweaks?
udog

Showing 2 responses by rodman99999

How well have you adjusted the crossover, phase/time alignment and levels, between your mains and sub? Are you able to reach realistic levels(ie: have enough dynamic range/power for the room size and liveliness)?
I just dug out and listened to, an album that was probably the most requested, by my customers, for demos. Ry Cooder’s, ’Bop Till You Drop’. Great mix and mic set-up on the kit. Of course, that’s an LP, stamped in 1980. Don’t know how well someone might have remixed it, for a newer format. Another excellent recording(CD, this time) is Audioquest’s, ’Jazz Masters’. Both will provide all the bottom definition, tonality, palpability, etc, you could want. No trouble, at all, following what the rhythm section’s doing. eg: The Bass(each note, defined) and Kick(beater on skin, there), presented as two distinctly separate voices/entities. The Bassist, on ’Gloria’s Step’(from the Audioquest CD), I’d favorably compare to Pastorius. He plays the Bass, like Sandoval plays Trumpet. Now, for something completely different: Dead Can Dance’s, ’Into The Labyrinth’(especially, ’Spirit Dance’).......