What cartridges under $800 outperform DL-103R?

I have a brass plate on my nude DL-103 and I'm ready for a change. I'm looking for more air and ambiance, but don't want to sacrifice extension on either end.

I'm debating whether to try Uwe's Panzerholz body on a 103R, or try something altogether different like a Dynavector 20XH, Sumiko Blackbird, Lyra Dorian, Zyx R50 Bloom. I had a Benz Glider L2 (0.4 mV) for a while, but didn't find it any better than the 103R. My tonearm is Micro Seiki MA-707.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mingles

Showing 4 responses by nrenter

Great thread! I'm interested in reading the responses. I personally have a stock 103-R, and am wondering the same thing as you.

In the upper end of your price range, you may also want to consider the Sound Smith Adia and the Sound Smith Nude 103R w/ Ruby Cantilever and OCL stylus. I have these 2 other options on my "watch list". I sent Peter Lendermann (Sound Smith) and e-mail asking him to comment on his 2 offerings - here's his response (posted without his permission, but I can't imagine he'd mind):

The Nude 103R/Ruby/OCL is a very good MC cart; according to many who have purchased them, it outperforms MC’s costing far more. I use the same stylus configuration as the Aida, so that is an easy comparison with other types of styli. The OCL requires precise Azimuth alignment, as well as all the other alignments.

The Aida comes in several flavors, so there is some flexibility here; high and medium compliance for varied arm masses, and either the standard 400pf or special 100PF loading, as requested. It is designed to work with MM preamps, and if the gain can be set to 40-44, that is best, as it will then better “Match” the levels of your other sources (CD, Tuner, etc…) but will work fine with the standard 36dB gain found with most MM preamp designs.

In the effort to compare the designs, you will be best served by my pointing out the technical differences. The Aida has far lower EFFECTIVE moving mass; that means that the stylus/cantilever has an easier time controlling, and not being controlled, by the generating element. This affects details and distortion; it affords the cartridge what is often referred to as “speed” or transient capability. It also allows lower VTF; 1 gram for the high compliance, 1.4 for the medium, which has an effect on record/stylus wear. Since the Aida is a step down from the Voice, the big brother, it still maintains many of its characteristics. Reviews and comments indicate that it compares very well with carts costing much more. We are now listed in Stereophile’s A rating for the SMMC1/Aida, as well as dollar value. They put us in with carts costing $2400 - $6500.

There are those who love the sound of MC carts, even though some may not be very accurate. I have no problem with that; there are details in some records that you don’t want to hear, and a slower cart will not reproduce them as well. My personal preference however, has always been to hear everything that is there in the vinyl, great, good or mediocre.

Peter is a good guy, and I appreciated his response.
Mingles,

Have you received you Soundsmith retipped 103R potted in an ebony body? I want to hear about it.

Personally, I'm hesitant to purchase a used cartridge. I think it's the riskiest of all used audio hardware purchases (cables probably being the least risky). I'm just too risk adverse when it comes to carts.
Also, has anyone used an Audio-Technica AT33EV / AT33PTG on a mediaum mass tonearm like an Origin Live Silver? On paper, it does not seem like a good match (with those AT carts having a compliance of 40 x 10-6cm/dyne, and the OL Silver having an effective mass of 14 grams).
You are right, they do have a dynamic compliance of 10 x 10-6cm/dyne (100Hz)...that makes a *bit* of a difference. Thanks!!!