What cartridges under $800 outperform DL-103R?

I have a brass plate on my nude DL-103 and I'm ready for a change. I'm looking for more air and ambiance, but don't want to sacrifice extension on either end.

I'm debating whether to try Uwe's Panzerholz body on a 103R, or try something altogether different like a Dynavector 20XH, Sumiko Blackbird, Lyra Dorian, Zyx R50 Bloom. I had a Benz Glider L2 (0.4 mV) for a while, but didn't find it any better than the 103R. My tonearm is Micro Seiki MA-707.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mingles

Showing 2 responses by kkurtis

Most are unfamiliar with the Denon DL-S1 for about a $1000 probably available for $800. I have to say honestly I have not done a direct comparison and only have a menoty of the 103R. My sense is the top Denon does most everything better and opinions available rate it a true value in high end cartridges. I'm not sure what best is since all have plus's and minus's. In my really high end system I have settled on the DL-S1 as a real world cartridge that does as well as anything else I have heard even remotely close in price. Zu does Denon mods and I have called and pleaded with the designer to work his magic on the DL-S1. He says he has thought of it and wants to try. If he does, I'll probably buy one on the strength of the two.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I'll try to answer honestly.
I hope it works out for you. Was listening last night after writing my response and again realized how wonderful it all sounded. Comes a point where I enjoy just listening and telling myself it is good enough for right now, kind of the zen approach.
Denny