What amp to replace BAT VK-250 w/Dali & Aesthetix?

I'm looking to replace my BAT VK-250 (w/bat pak). Speakers are Dali Euphonia MS4; preamp is Aesthetix Janus. The BAT is not as musical or as present as I'd like--not engaging enough. I feel like it's putting the recording studio in my house, instead of the musicians, if that makes any sense. I listen to rock (no metal), folk, jazz, electronica, and classical.

I'm looking for an amp in the $3,000-$5,000 range, that will give me an organic and warm (but not overly-tubey) sound, while still having great imaging, dynamics, detail, presence etc.. I'm also nervous about going all tube (my DAC has tube as well) because I don't want things to get too syrupy, so I'm leaning toward SS or hybrids.

My Shortlist is as follows:

Moscode 401HR
Pass XA-30.5 or X-250.5
McIntosh 402

If you have specific experience with these amps and my other gear that's great! I'm worried the Pass XA-30.5 won't be enough to power the Dali's (recommended 50-350 @ 4 ohm) in my room (17 x 20); I am also a little nervous about the cult of McIntosh. Any help is greatly appreciated!
mimberman

Showing 1 response by bobheinatz

Mimberman,

I owned the Pass 250.5 and it is an excellent amp. I now own a Tube Research Labs M-225 mono blocks and they are the best amps I have ever heard. I have owned tube, SS, Class D, expensive and moderately priced and TRL is in another class. The M-225 is their solid state product and it runs very cool. They have produced some of the best tube equipment including their $140,000 mono blocks for the past 20+ years and now their SS competes with their tube amps. Check them out, very little is ever discussed about TRL but Paul & Brian know what they are doing. If you can get past not impressing your friends with a brand name then you will find a hidden treasure.