Wadia? Should You Go Direct In Or Preout

Interested in getting a Wadia 860x cd player. I have a Conrad-Johnson MF2500, brand new 240 watt solid state amp. Was wondering if ditching my Premier 14 tube preamp is a good idea to go to this unit? or keep the premier 14 and get a cheaper cd player? what to do?
tbonephile

Showing 1 response by cbidinger7495

Not so fast, you direct connectors ! I've been using Wadia transports and dacs exclusively for over 7 years now. I presently have a 270/27i combo. I held on to the belief that running the 27i directly into my various amps had to sound better, because there was less "stuff" between the signal and the speakers. I now run an ARC REF. II between the 27i and ARC VTM 200 monoblocks (previously ARC VT-200) with much improved results. The Wadia output stage in the 27i (their highest end dac) is very transparent, but has a very lean, "skeletal" sound to it. The leading edge transients are great, very clear, but the remainder of the tone is thin and baren and certainly not fully "fleshed out." You must use a very high quality pre-amp and interconnect, but if your equipment is up to it- your sound definately improves. By the way, I've spoken with Steve Huntley several times over the years (he was, in fact, employed by Wadia for many years) and he discoved that a PASS ALEPH pre-amp was better in his system than a 27 direct. Steve is a super knowledgable guy nad I understand that his mods are very effective.