Wadia S7i started making a loud high pitched sound from inside when powered on

For the past nine years or so my Wadia S7i has been flawless and it still technically operates properly, but two days ago it started making a loud high pitched whine from inside, maybe around 15 KHz.

It goes away if I shut off power, so I suspect it’s something power supply related.

The unit still works perfectly, playing CDs and decoding digital audio, it’s just the whine is very annoying, not unlike the flyback transformer in an old tube TV.

Does anyone know what this might be and if there is anyone who still works on these, otherwise I guess I will have to see if there is anyone willing to accept a trade-in on something else or I will have to sell it as-is.

Pity, I absolutely love the sound of this unit and to this day haven’t heard anything better, not even the Oppo UDP-205 or the Ayre QX-5 Twenty, but ultimately I can’t stand the high pitched sound it’s making now.

I’ve tried plugging the unit into other outlets and such but the sound is made about 90% of the time now; the other 10% I can get it to go away for a while but it returns within a few hours.

I’m reasonably handy with a soldering iron but it looks mostly surface mount inside.