Wadia 170i transport experience?

Looking for input on the wadia 170i. I currently have a nakamichi av-10 and am planning in the future to get the parasound a51 and halo c3 or hdp-70. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe in Mobile
magsterone

Showing 5 responses by hei83

i've been using the 170i > musical fidelity tri vista 21 DAC for a week. I don't know if the run in period is still not passed yet or the 170i is passing too much information to my DAC. I found it sound pretty harsh and the lower notes are not as noticible compares to using a traditional CDP (I'm using musical fidelity A3.2 cdp as transport)I hope it can sound the way i want it to in another week or i'll return it.
I don't think the MF Tri-vista 21 does reclocking. Though, i can write a little review for the 2 weeks i spent with the wadia. You might get different results with other DACs.

I've confirmed that 170i does provide more detail compares to the a3.2 in the upper range. Though, it lacks the smooth mid and deep bass that i can find from the a3.2. I've listened to a few well recorded classicals. The 170i has wider soundstage but violin doesn't sound as sweet as the a3.2.

I feel A3.2 performs vocal better than 170i does with my setup. the 170i made me feel tired very easily but I never wanted to stop the cd in the a3.2. a3.2 does sound smoother compares to the 170i.

may be the 170i just can't fit into my system. I did think about playing the reclock trick ($250-$1800)but i would rather keep my system simple as getting an audio grade power strip will be another grand and i don't think the 170i is worth that much trouble in my setup. I might be able to get a better CDP that fits my setup for that price (ipod: $150 refurb, 170i:$380, decent DAC: $1000, decent power strip: $800-$1000, reclocker: $1800, total= $4000+) with better resell value.

Anyway, you might be able to find your need from this 170i, i just couldn't. ~
hi Bombaywalla,

My review doesn't sound like most of the 170i user's opinion but it is my opinion. Like i said, i want to keep my system simple. If it doesn't sound right, please disregard my review. I tried to find a button to remove it here but i couldn't find one. Like I said, it is just how it sounds in my specific system "in my opinion". Different people can have different opinions on the same equipment, right?

It is an innovative product, getting data from a solid state hard drive resolves a lot of problems. Though, it doesn't fit into my specific system. One of the problems is that i want to keep my system in my small room simple.

Yes bom, you are correct. I can use the Dip and a $500 DAC but i want to get the most out of this ipod transport. Can a $200 dip and a $500 dac get the most out of it? I don't know non i wanted to try because it will then have more power cables and an extra power strip. Cost adds up fast.

I apologize if my review sounds biased/harsh etc and my present half-assed attempt. Wadia will have the 121/151 coming out soon, i do look forward to it.

Thank you
hey Flg2001

I did study about the 170i a bit. IMO, solid state creates less noise and more stable compares to the traditional disk. Also even toslink and coax are transferring the same signal, toslink has to transform the digital signal into light > pass through the optical cable > transform the light back into the digital signal. It takes more steps than using a coax cable and that might be what makes people saying coax is a better digital interface than toslink in short length connection.
I just got a reply from wadia:

................. The 121 DAC (due out in early 2010) shares the same chassis as the 170iTransport and will be available in both black and silver powder coat finishes. It can be stacked with the 170iTransport or will fit next to the it on a shelf due to its small size. Even though it will be small, it will have twenty years worth of Wadia DAC technology packed into its small chassis. It will have a digital coax to work with the 170iTransport or another unit that uses that type of connection. It will also have USB, Toslink and AES/EBU for compatibility with many digital audio products currently available. It will have a pair of Balanced and Single Ended analog outputs as well as a built-in headphone amplifier.

Because it follows in a long line of Wadia DACs, it will share many of the technologies that Wadia has perfected over the past 20 years. It will use our patented DigiMaster upsampling software and also will allow the user to control volume and balance with the 121 using our Direct-Connect technology. We reclock the incoming digital signals so that Jitter is reduced to a minimum.

While the 121 is designed to complement the 170iTransport, it is by no means meant to only sell with it. The 121 will make an extraordinary DAC for many people looking for better performance out of all or their digital devices. Please let me know if you have any other questions that I may answer.................

It seems like wadia got a solution for 170i 's jitter issue now. It may be worth a try again once the 121 DAC is available.