Wadia 170i transport experience?

Looking for input on the wadia 170i. I currently have a nakamichi av-10 and am planning in the future to get the parasound a51 and halo c3 or hdp-70. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe in Mobile
magsterone

Showing 6 responses by flg2001

I like the convenience of use of my Wadia 170i - I replaced my Reimyo 777 CDP for a Wadia 170i/Reimyo DAC combo (that happens to be exactly the same DAC of my Reimyo 777 CD ) and.... I do not miss the CDP at all.

Caveat - I use a quite expensive Siltech coax cable from the Wdia to the Reimyo to really get closer enough to my original digital source.

Saying that - it is not as convenient as having either a Mac or an AppleTV as digital storage the Wadia's emote has very limited functionality and the iPOD screen is far away from my listeining chair to really see what is playing.

and... do not forget that only WAV files are acceptable for proper reproduction.

Regards,
Dave - I originally had all my music library in Apple Lossless format - and it was very listenable and close to my reference - the Reimyo CDP777 at that time. I am sure that many will be more than well served with this format in their iPODS listening thru the 170i.

Converting those files to WAV (only those files ripped from CDs as we know, since iTUNES downloads are not HiRez yet) gave me a little extra definition in the upper frequencies (just a tad) and placed it closer to the Reimyo at the expense of the files size.

Fernando
I updated my analog front end and left my digital one seeing no use for a month or more - I just started to re-listen to the Wadia170i/Reimyo combo and continues to amaze me.

My analog source is better in many regards compared to the digital combo, but I could live happy just having the Wadia 170/Reimyo as the only available option in my system.

Not sure if the Reimyo is such a terrific DAC, or if the Siltech interconect is a great match for the Wadia, but it is definitely working!.
Interesting finding since I tried an AppleTV (same WAV files that on my iTouch) connected thru a Toslink cable (only digital-out option from the AppleTV) to the same Reimyo DAC I have.

Much better interfase since now I can browse from a 15 inch monitor close to my tired eyes - but - not sure if it sounds as good as the Wadia 170i yet (just a few hours of listening so far).

Could it be that the Siltech coax cable used with the Wadia 170i is a better digital interfase than the Kimber toslink (optical) one?

or is it that a SS storage capabilities of the iTouch is a better option than the IDE disk in the AppleTV?

More later....
Hei83: Thanks for bringing that placing some "light" (no pun) to the difference between toslink and coax, that should have some drawbacks in the audible side of the system.

Yioryos: I have not devoted that much of a time to compare the Wadia170i to the AppleTV, first impressions showed that the Wadia was a tad better in resolution and ambience, but I need at least a whole week to back-up this statement.

Regards,
Sound interesting Hei83, the Wadia is a great sounding product - it is a shame that it is not easy to interact with thou.