Wadia 170i transport experience?

Looking for input on the wadia 170i. I currently have a nakamichi av-10 and am planning in the future to get the parasound a51 and halo c3 or hdp-70. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe in Mobile
magsterone

Showing 6 responses by dcstep

I own and love a Wadia 170i; however, it's only as good as the DAC you send the signal to. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you probably want one of the many devices available that take an iPod's analog output (as opposed to digital) and sends out a line level signal to a home music system. Teamed with the very best DACs with strong reclocking capacity, it's a wonder.

Dave
Sorry Joe, I read three reviews of the AV-10 and no one really talked about it's reclocking ability. Being that it's Nakamichi, I'd expect better than average performance, so I think it's a relatively safe bet. Unfortunately the Wadia does seem to increase jitter, so the problem is likely with more than half the DACs out there.

It's inexpensive enough that I'd recommend buying it new from a supplier with return privileges. If you try it in your system and don't find it great in every way, then return it.

Dave
Flg2001 said:
"and... do not forget that only WAV files are acceptable for proper reproduction."

With a good upsampling DAC and precise clock, error corrected Apple Lossless can't be distinguished from the original WAV files.

Dave
Joe, I said earlier in the thread, "It's inexpensive enough that I'd recommend buying it new from a supplier with return privileges. If you try it in your system and don't find it great in every way, then return it."

Why don't you take that advice? It looks like no one with direct experience with the Wadia/Nakamichi is going to come along and remove all risk for you by telling you it will or won't work.

I can tell you that it works great in my system. Right now it's the only option out there that I know of that bypasses the iPod's DAC, so if you chance for the best sound possible off an iPod you'll need to try it in your system.

Dave
If you're speaking to me, I'm taking nothing personally. I'm just trying to help you make some progress.

Widipedia will give you a quick definition of a DAC (digital to analog converter).

Still, it's a device that's either stand alone or part of an iPod or CDP or SACD player or computer that converts a digital signal to an analog signal. The Wadia is special in that it takes the iPod's digital signal and bypasses the iPods relatively low resolution DAC so that you can convert the digital signal to analog using a better DAC. All other iPod docking stations merely take the iPods analog output (after the DAC) and send it out as an analog signal.

The PROBLEM with the Wadia or the program it uses to route this digital signal out of the iPod is that it adds jitter. Jitter is time distortion of the digital signal itself. This can be fixed by "reclocking" the digital signal. There's a digital clock that governs the DAC and may or may not reclock the input from external sources. Just like a DAC, a digital clock can be a stand alone divice, but it's usually a component within a larger piece of equipment, like a CDP or SACD player or a digital receiver.

No one that's responded so far knows if your Naka reclocks and/or does a good job in this regard. I've scanned three reviews of the Naka and see no mention of its reclocking capacity and quality. You can be the first to report if you'll accept the assignment. ;-)

Dave
Fernando, I have no doubt that what you're saying is true, with your DAC. I'm saying that with my DAC there is no difference because the upsampling program and reclocking is so good. My DAC upsamples to DSD-level and applies an alogarythm that challenges any format. Pure DSD IS better and so is 24/192, but no much else.

Dave