VTL ST-150 vs... ?

Hi all, I'm currently evaluating amps and so far the one I am "settling" on is the VTL ST-150. It has a big expressive sound with great, rich texture and natural timbre, but everything has faults and for me the VTL could use some more focused imaging and is a bit dark sounding. Plus, I would prefer solid state to avoid the heat and maintenance of tubes (class AB over class A would be great).

So, people who have owned or have experience with this amp, what have you moved onto or chosen over it in a similar price range ($1.5k - $2.5k used) and why?

Associated gear:
Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor
Placette Passive Linestage
MHDT Havana DAC
eugene81

Showing 1 response by desmondjim

I went from a VTL ST-150 to a Wyred 4 Sound ST-250 a few months ago due to child safety reasons and looking for a cool running amp that can be put into a lockable cabinet.

I find that I do like the W4S more so that I would have thought. Compaired to the ST-150 the W4S is actually darker sounding and I needed to retube my TL5.5 pre to brighten up the system a little, going from New Sensor Mullard 12ax7s to New Sensor Tung Sol 12ax7 brought back some of the high end extension and sparkle that I was missing from the ST-150.

The bass control of the W4S is in a completely different world compared to the VTL, very taught and defined bass from kick drums and bass guitars, I would have loved this aspect of the amp even more when I was running Vienna Acoustics Beethovens. The ST 150 sounded great with these speakers except in the bass were it just didn't have the damping needed to control the woofers as well as I would have prefered.

As for that special quality that tube amps deliver that I can't really describe but I love; the W4S ST-250 comes closer than other SS amps I have heard for around this price but it does not sound like a tube amp. It is an acceptable compromise though and I would recommend it especially for the sub $1000 asking price. Going through two retubes over the last 3 years with the ST-150 could have almost paid for the W4S ST-250!

Cheers,
Jim