VPI 300 RPM motor clicking when starts

I've got an Aries III motor and SDS. When I start the SDS (or motor) in the first second or so it has a mechanical clicking noise from the top of the motor. This disappears within the first second or so. It seems to function fine with very low noise or hum - even when tested with a stethoscope.

My friend has an older 600 rpm motor with his Aries I and SDS and he brought it over. His does not do this at all.

Interestingly when I plug the motor into the wall, without the belt attached to the platter, it doesn't make this noise during start up.

For you 300 RPM VPI motor owners out there, does yours make a slight mechanical noise immediately during starting it up which lasts for only a second or so?
philb7777

Showing 2 responses by mjglo

Yes, mine does and actually will do it longer if there is more load on the motor such as with a Super Platter. I think it's a soft start clutch on the motor.

Mike
This is my second Aries 3, both motors click on start up, oiling doesn't change things. I think Super Scoutmaster has a different motor. Harry must get a LOT of calls.

Mike