VMPS QSO 626 Ribbon Versus Josephs/ Tylers

Well, after many fantastic suggestions (many unfortunately out of my range even on the used market), at my price point (< $2,000), room size (Med.), amplification (Hybrid 80W), and listening style (predominantly jazz, but covers the waterfront), I had settled on the following monitors:

• Joseph Audio RM7 si Sig MK II's (new)
• Tyler Linbrook Monitors (used)

Then a fellow audiophile suggested VMPS QSO 626
Ribbons. Does anyone have any experience with these, and how do they rate relative to the above. How would you rank the three relative to each other (1st/2nd/3rd). And lastly, recalling the price point, any last pitches for another brand i.e. Faber/ Greenmountain. Thank you so much, you input has been very helpful. - Kahana
kahana

Showing 1 response by gtan

Glad to hear you have such high regard for the Linbrook. I just took delivery of a beautiful Linbrook system in natural cherry yesterday. Quite simply it's the most musical, liquid, refined speaker I've heard. My Norh mini-9.0 standmounts (using SS 9700 tweeter and Revelator mid/bass driver) sound etched and peaky by comparison.

Unfortunately the UPS gorillas managed to shake loose the crossover parts in one of the bass modules. So I can't tell how the full system will sound like until it's repaired. I contacted Ty and he was ultra responsive in advising me what to do. Simply superb aftersales support even though I'm not the original owner!

I was interested in VMPS ribbons but a friend whose ears I trust heard them and detected a 'metallic' coloration to vocals. So until I can listen to them myself I will withold judgement.

What amps do you think will go well with the Linbrooks? I'm currently using a modified Mesa Baron tube amp. Thanks.