Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Well, i just got an email from www.Audio-Reparatur.de about estimate price for TT-101 repair service and it’s similar to JP’s current rates, but the vendor is in Germany, so for those who’re in Europe it must be great and Tuchan’s repaired TT-101 linked a few times in this thread is the proof. Still very expensive for me.

Waiting for the rates from JVC repair service in UK soon. 
@chakster  
How did the repair workshop make a budget estimate without even having the turntable on the operating table?
Could you publicize the asking price?
Henry (Halcro) mentions the $30,000-VPI DD turntable, which seems to have come and perhaps gone from the market, like a will o' the wisp.  I am guessing that VPI will still build one for a buyer, but they have certainly stopped flogging it, preferring instead to hammer away at the middle of the market in terms of cost, with their latest belt drives.  Maybe they are selling them to wealthy Asians and Russian oligarchs.  Has anyone here actually seen the VPI DD, and if so, have you listened to it in a good system?  Better yet, have you been able to compare it to one of our beloved vintage DD turntables?  Henry implies that a well done TT101 would be on an equal footing with the VPI, which made me wonder.  Another such item is the Monaco Grand Prix.
Have had several of them - its a very nice machine - A thingap motor run by a industrial servo controller placed inside the motor unit. The ones I've had have all been slightly fast and adjustment is only possible via software.

The motor it self looks very similar to the one pictured next to the TG231X specs in this link http://www.thingap.com/standard-products/

Both Platter and Bearing on the VPI are VERY substantial,  the bearing it self is the standard VPI Inverted bearing.  

Good Listening

Peter