Vincent PHO-8? Jolida JD-9A,? Phono Pre's $350-500

I have a Technics DD and Audio Technica AT150MLX. Current phono preamp is a Cambridge Audio 640P. Looking to upgrade for $350-500 IF it yields a significant improvement.

Candidates I've read about include the Vincent PHO-8 and the JoLiDa JD-9A (tubed) pre. The Jolida evidently responds well to tweaking--better tubes, tube ring dampers, chassis damping.

So... What do you like in this price range? Anybody with the Jolida? How about the Pro-ject Tube Box or Lehmann Black Cube, or something else I haven't heard of?

Or would I be better off saving my money toward a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum, which has a built-in phono stage?
johnnyb53

Showing 1 response by mechans

Graham Slee amp 2 SE for MM or HO MC is incredible. Don't buy the line that a tube phono only, is the best phono, to buy, trust me on this. I am otherwise all tube and a die hard as far as tube power amps and line pre amps go. If you are using MM or high output MC this phono stage is a giant killer. If you are using an MC low or typical MC output a new Graham Slee is above your price range, but the MC version used is in your price range.
You will save money using the built in phono of course, that is a given, but the Graham products are just phenomenal, especially in terms of giving you all the bass the recording has in it. Try it you will hear what I mean.