Vandersteens on active speakers and room correction

Fast forward to around 2:16:10 time mark.  It wouldn't be a surprise though
of what he thinks.  "Above 150Hz", he said there is nothing that can be
compared with using high quality capacitors and air coil inductors.  

Below 150Hz I think that's where active makes sense.  Maybe that's
why his high end speakers are using active subwoofer for the bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E69dKx8uAXY

andy2
My three most memorable hifi moments were the following but not necessarily in the following order

1. A pair of horn Avantgarde 
2. Thiels CS2.4
3. And Vandersteens 5A driven by some huge tube amps

Of the three, the 5A had the most unique presentation in which I swear I could see the air molecules moving :-)
I owned TReo's and now own Quatro's. I needed the bass EQ in my room.  It's a loft with a 48" high back wall to an open 20' high LR ceiling. Bass is really difficult and the Quatro's nailed it.  I've had some very expensive high end speakers in the room over the years and nothing sounds as good or coherent in my space as the Steen line.  

I never liked them years ago and I think it's because the rake wasn't set up properly in the stores.  I used my ears and not my prejudice's when choosing my speakers as well as the associated electronics.  Heck, I never loved AQ wire/cords/cable years ago either and now I have yet to hear anything close to what Garth is coming to market with.  

Richard is one of ht most opinionated designers around, but for those of us who don't worry about the name on the product, it's easy to understand WHY he feels the way he does.  His choice of caps is as good as anyone in the business.  Same with inductors.  He never puts out MK 2,3 or more unless it's a HUGE change.  He constantly changes caps etc... when he finds better and his gear just keeps pushing it's envelope.  Most companies just decide to throw a new mk whatever on the product and force folks to sell and buy new if they want the 'latest and greatest' as most audiophiles do.  

"Above 150Hz", he said there is nothing that can be
compared with using high quality capacitors and air coil inductors.  
That sounds credible to me and I have no interest in active speakers other than I *am* curious to hear the Dutch & Dutch.
The great thing about an active speaker or even semi active is they are a perfect match.  That can't be overstated when done properly.  I'm getting the new Vandersteen M5 amps to mate with my Quatro's to make mine a true active speaker if you would.  I've heard them a few times and fell in love.  They sound better than the 30k Audio Research mono's to my ears.  

I always have asked designers which amps and sources they used to voice their products. I also ask for the internal wire adn cables they use.
The M5 amps I heard sounded really really good. I was quite shocked a speaker maker could also make a great amp.  Wish they sounded that good for $2k instead though. :)