Used CD player for under $2000

I'm looking to upgrade my Audio Alchemy ACD pro with something used on audiogon, but I want to keep it under $2000.

My system:

Wilson Watt Puppy 6's
BAT VK-60 amp
Cary SLP-98 pre-amp

So far I am considering several CD players but please feel free to add to this list and comment on any of my choices.

Cary - 303/300 or 306/200
Krell KAV250, or KAV300
Audio Research CD2
Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1
Consonance Droplet 3.1 (has anyone heard this CD player?)
Lector ???
Bluenote ???

I live in Alaska so my options are somewhat limited and I do rely quite a bit on information gleened from this website.

jensmunk

Showing 1 response by tomcy6

I have a Cary 303/300 and I like it but I don't know if I would recommend it unconditionally. Like you I don't have the opportunity to listen to a lot of gear.

The Cary gives you the option of tube or ss output and a number of upsample rates. If you like to fool with your gear you can try different settings and see which you like best on different cds. If you don't like to fool with your gear you may be paying for options you won't use.

I use the tube output and I would say that it's a nice musical player, not harsh or forward but probably not the highest resolving either.

One thing I don't like is the drawer mechanism. It uses a computer cd-rom drive and it kind of shudders open and closed. It is not a smooth, solid mechanism.