UPS or should I Say Oooops

I had quite an experience in sending back a damaged amp which was sent to me via UPS back to the distributor via UPS. I went to the customer counter and even tho I added a 2nd box to the amp they would not take the amp w/o the orig box.

My question, has anyone here had a UPS damage claim paid when the item wasnt shipped in the orig manufact box?
128x128justlisten

Showing 1 response by 3728slingshot

In my business, I receive hundreds of UPS packages monthly. I have found that damage is almost always due to improper packaging. We see everthing from pocelean toilets to highly sensitive computer equipment. I have less than 1 claim per month. Most damage is caused when an item (EVEN IF WELL WRAPPED) is loose inside the box. The cardboard box is much stronger when it receives equal support from the inside. A box that is 25% bigger than the item with all excess space taken up with energy absorbing packing material will provide better protection than two ill fitting larger boxes. If the box is unsupported it will crush and tear easier when dropped or stacked on. UPS is not resposible for improper packaging ... the shipper is. Additionally, as the shipper, you must prepare the package to survive reasonable handling. "HANDLE WITH CARE" or "FRAGILE" stickers DO NOT make a difference if the item is poorly packaged!!! If in doubt pay a service to package the item for you.

PS - our sister division pays UPS shipping bills weekly at a rate of $20,000 per week (that's a s---load of boxes) and has a similarly low rate of claims. The business is 100%consumer electronics.