UPS. Friend Or Foe?

Recently shipped two speakers and the stands all in very good (8/10) condition to a buyer in another state. One speaker and the stands were in the factory boxes. The other speaker was boxed by UPS. The buyer sent pictures and stated they arrived damaged. One of the speakers had a rattle but no visible damage, the other speaker, (the one UPS boxed), had visible damage. Not surprisingly, the stands arrived unscathed.

All items were picked up by UPS in that city and taken for inspection.

And the results were...UPS is not at fault because they have a policy, buried in very fine print, that it is the shippers' (sellers') responsibility to ensure proper packaging.

My wife and I also found out the local UPS stores are legally not affiliated with UPS!!!

We are currently attempting to discuss this with the owner of the local store.

Sad but true...

tomcarr

I've had mixed results with UPS. The one time I had a major shipment - including the maximum insurance - they damaged several boxes and lost 6. After 18 months of hassle, even securing 3rd party help, I gave up. They had no intention of honoring in insurance. I will not use UPS to ship items of value anymore. That said, USPS is worse.Good luck filing a claim much less getting paid. All that said, 1. if you use them, pay the extra to have them pack it, take pictures, and save documentation. Won't matter if it's damaged but maybe helps. 2. Don't use them with expensive stuff. 3. If ordering from a retailer, get in writing (email) their precise policy and get a person's contact name/email. 4. FedEx and or DHL are a tiny bit better but it's still a crapshoot. None of these folks care, that's the bottom line.  Last, I often pay more to purchase via Amazon.  When I receive a package that's crushed, I take pictures of all sides before opening but I must say, they have always honored a return or replaced a damaged shipment. 

I was a UPS driver for 23 years and could spend the next week telling you stories. For the most part the drivers do care and try their best. Most of the damage is system logistics and how they build their sort centers snd conveyer belts. Rule one pack it like it’s you child then pack that inside another package and then inside another. Rule two never buy the insurance through UPS always use third party insurance. Rule three over insure by 1 1/2 total replacement cost. Rule four and most important, upon receipt of delivery and there is noticeable damage DO NOT OPEN PACKAGE CALL UPS TO PICK UP AS REFUSED DELIVERY! As soon as you open it is yours. By refusing delivery it goes back to sender and the damage is their issue not yours. Then you get your money back as never received product. I use to let people open and check for damage and if it was we would seal back up and send back refused delivery. Final rule never use UPS for anything valuable unless there is absolutely no other option.

Post removed 

No one has mentioned our beloved United States Postal Service (USPS). Here they go under the bus.  Had to ship my XA25 to Pass Labs In Auburn, CA for a minor repair.  $276 later including $5000 insurance, it was shipped on Jan 3, with arrival expected Jan 6.  A couple of weeks later my dealer got a note from Pass that they hadn't received the amp yet.  In the meantime I tried tracking and it was in the Auburn PO.  I go to the PO that I shipped it from to try a trace without any luck. I called Pass Labs and was told that the USPS won't deliver unless it fits in a mailbox.  Also the PO won't answer the phone when they call.  Sure enough I tried and after 4 two minute rings that ended in a disconnect I surrendered and tried the dreaded 800 number call.  45 minutes and two service complaints later I was told that I would be contacted within 3 business days.  After two business days on a Sunday night I get a call from USPS that the caller was looking at my package and that it would be delivered the next day.  Sure enough it was...3 weeks late.  In one piece however. The question now is how does it get shipped back to me.  It will be interesting to see who Pass chooses.