Upgrading Frontend in 2009: Which way to go?

For reference, my system is located here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1174881856&view

One of the upgrades I'm looking to perform in 2009 is my source. I've enjoyed the Cary 303/300 as a standalone player, but it's time to move on (for reasons not relevant to the thread). I'm looking to spend $2k-$4k if I replace my CD player, and probably $1k-$2k if I simply add a DAC.

Sonically, I like the Cary presentation in that I can hear the recording venue, whether it is a studio, auditorium, amphitheater, or whatever. I suppose I'm a big fan of detail but not to the point that it sounds sterile. I won't be able to live with a player that doesn't allow me to hear everything on the disc, like breaths that are sometimes heard when listening to singers or wind players.

I've read some older posts about CD players, but I'm also wondering if newer DACs or newer-model CDPs with newer onboard DACs will be superior to the older models. I've read great things about the Resolution Audio Opus 21, for example, but I'm concerned that it might not be the best value anymore, given that it's 6 years old now.

One other limiting factor: I sold me preamp last year, so if I go the CDP route the new unit must have volume control onboard.

So I'm looking for the best bang for my buck in that price range. If it's a DAC, so be it. If it's a new CD player, that's great, too. Maybe even better, since I wouldn't have to buy another set of cables.

Any thoughts to help me compile a "short list" to audition would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to all!
aggielaw

Showing 1 response by jb0194

For slightly more than your upper budget limit, you could consider the K&K Audio RAKK DAC MKII "Extreme" fed by a used Esoteric P-70 VRDS transport.

The "Extreme" RAKK has a tube/active linestage built into the same case. I own the stand alone version of the linestage and it is very very good in an all balanced system. The Lundahl transformers make for a dead quiet background in my system. The DAC appears to handle up to 24 bit 192 kS/s input. I own a P-70 as well, and its 176.4 kS/s upsampled output is stellar. It has converted me to the superiority of the VRDS mechanism. Kevin of K&K can confirm whether his DAC will accept dual AES/EBU 176.4 input. He will assemble the DAC/linestage combo for a very reasonable cost.

For about $6000 including dual AES/EBU digital cabling you might have a wonderful 2 box source plus active linestage that would be very hard to equal at the price. A pair of replacement linestage tubes is dirt cheap. They are robust Soviet military vintage still available in large numbers.