Upgrade RB300 Tonearm or Not?

I am still trying to generate a little more discussion on upgrade issues and benefits for the Rega RB300 Tonearm. I initated another thread earlier with questions about the best wiring, and I want to thank everyone who contributed to that... espcially Onetwothreego. I am hoping for a more feedback on this thread. The question is basically this: I figure if I fully upgrade an RB300, according to my plan (new wiring, i.e. Discovery Cable, Incognito, etc., VTA adjustment, i.e., Pete Riggle VTAF, etc., upgrade counter weight), I would have ATLEAST $700 into an RB300. Is this really worth it for the money, or should I take the $700 and put it towards another tonearm, even if I have to kick in a little more money? I will be using the tonearm on a VPI MKIV with the Super Armboard and TNT platter. I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter advising me for the best bang for the buck. Thanks and regards, Din Dayemi
bside123

Showing 2 responses by mingles

I'd like to get an objective, non-hostile, opinion of an RB300 with Tecnoweight, Incognito and VTA sleeve. Obviously some folks in this forum don't like the RB300. I understand it has weaknesses like the bearing, but all things considered, how does it compare to other arms in the $500-600 used range?

Maybe a better question is: What arms stand out in this price range?
I disagree the RB300 isn't worth tweaking -- especially if you're using a Grado Platinum or Sonata. If you were moving to a cartridge that didn't match the arm, or you were moving up to a high res cart, then it would make sense to get a better arm, but the RB300 is perfect for a Sonata. I own this combo and it does very well together.

You can easily find an RB300 for $200 and substantially upgrade it for less than $350. You'll have a very nice arm for $550. I don't know how you came up with $700. Here's my list:

$23 Michell VTA sleeve from eBay Buy it now

$159 Michell Tecnoweight from Galen Carol

You have lots of options for rewiring:

$205 Incognito Kit

$139 Cardas Tone Arm Rewire Service using the same wire as in the Incognito.

Do it yourself using any wire you want. I wired mine for about $100 using Cardas 4x33, WBT ends and some parts from the hardware store (rubber hose, braided steel hose, and shrink wrap tubing).