Upgrade from Cambridge Audio 840C to lessen glare?

I've read the archive posts, but looking for added input if I may.
Opinion on the sound of the CA 840C seems varied; some saying it's cold or overly-factual, others (like the older TAS review) saying it was musical, especially compared to the newer 851C.

In my system I enjoyed the 840C and its connection flexibility, until I made an amp upgrade. Now I find it harsh in the upper registers, with a glare or hardness that after a while is fatiguing. Especially surprising to me, since I'm playing through Dynaudio speakers that as a brand are known to be mellower at the higher frequencies. (The amp is staying.)

Requesting recommendation on a player up to say $3k-4k or so (new or used) that holds this level of resolution, but brings a smoother upper end?

Also, must have at least one digital input. (Am currently using both of the 840C's digital in's.)
Would also consider a separate DAC, but I know that's another whole playing field..

System:
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 340
Amp: Simaudio W-7
Pre: Parasound JC-2
CD: CA 840C
Wire: Nordost white lightning
Interconnects: Audio Art
brianam

Showing 1 response by mattmiller

I really think you dont have to spend so much $$ to acieve the results you want. Keep the cambridge as a transport and buy a DAC that has a burr brown chipset, this will sound much better and gives it a warm lush full beautiful sound that is much easier to listen to for long periods at higher volumes. 2nd Idea..Buy anew cd player like a REGA apollo, seriously it sounds awesome and could be all you need to make your system sound the way you want. Also I would highly consider the OPPO 105 because its a universal player that has Balanced XLR outputs and sounds fantastic even before the awesome MODWRIGHT mods that you can do to it. OK ive said enough..im going to go roll some tubes and listen to vinyl..LATERS!