Update - TacT 2.0 Room Correction System

As promised I am reporting back on the TacT 2.0 RCS that some of you asked about last month. I have now enjoyed it for about 6 weeks. My system consists of Magnepan 3.6 speakers currently driven by Bryston 7B-ST amps. The TacT is operating as a pre-amp & RCS. I have not tried it with other high end gear as "just" a digital room correction system. I hope to have time to do that in the future. I intend to try it with the AR Ref. 2 pre-amp and will let you know the changes in the sound if there is an interest. Now,back to the RSC. I probably have one of the worst set-ups for the MG 3.6 as the system is in a large office with lots of furniture but still a very live room. Without the RSC the music sounds very good but not great (about like it sounds in the audio stores where I have auditioned the speakers). With the RSC the music is transformed in a way that brings a clarity of soundstage I have never experienced. Perhaps many of you have accomplished similar feats with proper set-up and accoustical treatment. I never have been able to accomplish anything close to what this piece will do. Most times it makes the music sound like a live performance. It is simply uncanny. The one variation I have made to the recommendations in the instructions is that TacT suggests you place your speakers closer to the wall when using the system to reinforce the bass. The "bad" aspects that would normally occur are supposedly corrected by the RCS. NOT WITH THE MAGGIES! The speakers vibrated too much when close to the walls. I suppose that because they are bi-polar panels there is just too much sound bouncing off the walls and back into the panels to place them that close to the wall. So I put them where I normally would at about 3 feet out from the walls and everything went quite well from there on. I have convinced a few friends to get the TacT 2.0 RCS for a trial directly from TacT. I don't know anyone who has sent it back after hearing it in their system. If anyone has tried the TacT as a Room Correction System with their pre-amp I would appreciate information on how it affects the sonic qualities of the pre-amp. I am trying new cables this week (Quattro Fil interconnects & SPM speaker cable) and I am interested to hear how the sound will be affected. Happy listening, Jim
jlawyeratlldd

Showing 1 response by fear3000

Some more color on room characteristics and speaker placement wold be helpful. It would b einteresting to try to determine how much of a correction, and what sort of correction, your room needs. I have a very poor room, with large reflective surfaces (glass) but am unsure whether the TACT will be able to correct its gross errors.