up to $2,500 to spend............

At crossroads....need input...

Lets say....if one has a budget of $2,500 to spend. Thinking of other digital playback options besides SACD or CD Player route.

Though not a newbie...I am not tech inclined and prefer a system that is simple. I have all the cabling neccessary for dedicated cdps...ie...rca interconnects...a nice powercord. Don't need super convenience of accessing music/songs at a mere touch of the Ipad etc etc. I really am ok with getting up to change Cds (remote a must though). I am fine with just sacd or cd (95 percent of my collection is redbook cd)...having to do without  spotify or tidal is fine...at least for next 5 years. 

I am after a certain SQ though. Rich and full bodied sound...I listen to jazz vocal and acoustic instrumental almost exclusively. Smooth non etched top end. Detail is nice but I am ok with sacrificing some detail for an overall smooth non fatiguing listening experience.

Am I able to get into other options in digital playback with the above budget or should I stick with the good olde SACD/CD player?

Thanks!

pc123v

Showing 2 responses by djfst

I also hear Modwright is a good option too.  Scott from Vivahifi raves about the Modwright for being a great value option, smooth and
non- fatiguing sound.  This would also be a tubed CD player.
Based on your wants in sound quality, that would lean heavily toward a tube based CD player.  I used the EAR Acute 3 in the past, put Amperex 7308 tubes in it, and was exactly what you are talking about.  These are my tastes as well.  It only did redbook CD though (no SACDs).  It does have a pretty good DAC too.  I got mine used for around $3000.

Other tube units are AMR, Cary, etc.  Solid-state doesn't match the full-bodied and smooth sound of tubes, but does better in detail and other facets.  Just my experience with digital components thus far.