UP-OCC solid core copper for speaker cable

After reading about all these expensive cables and their extravagant claims, I decided to source the same wire that goes into many of them.

I have my monoblocs underneath and therefore close to the speakers. I ordered 8 feet of 14awg UP-OCC wire (with PTFE insulation) online. It is quite springy so I clamped it gently to the bench and cut it into 4 equal lengths. Assembling it into 2 x 24" speaker cables took a few minutes. I kept it running in the same direction, just in case. Be careful to gently slice the insulation and not to scar the copper.

Anyway, the improvement in sound quality was of a high order. Large increases in speed and transparency, more air, better definition of instruments, less coloration, backing voices I never noticed before etc. The improvement in musicality was impressive.

I urge folks to try this before spending lots of money on speaker cables. I don't bother with connectors as I feel they are another item in the way but that's your call. The wire was $6 a foot.

Available here:http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_hookup_neotech_copper_teflon.html

See a photo of my cable here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6iot28p0weuwytn/up-occ.jpg?dl=0
128x128noromance

Showing 8 responses by jerryg123

@testpilot he is going to hijack this thread about his OCC expertise (to wit he has none)

I have Zafino OCC The Prima MKII OCC Speaker Cable 9AWG - ZavfinoUSA

Great cable and in my main system I have all Zafino OCC OCC Silver Dart - Graphene Dielectric Speaker Cable - ZavfinoUSA

Power, IC and Speaker. 

More information on OCC: 

An Interview with Steven Huang of Audio Sensibility - Dagogo

The rapid development of the electronics industry in Japan in the 1970’s led to the aggressive miniaturization of electronic components. This in turn drove the demand to draw wire of increasingly fine gauge. It became evident to Dr. Ohno that it would be necessary to develop metal materials with no casting defects or crystal grain boundaries to continue the miniaturization.

This became the motivation for his research which led to the patenting of the Ohno Continuous Casting process in 1986. Actually Dr. Ohno was granted five patents related to his continuous casting process between 1985 and 1981.

By using a heated mold with the temperature profile carefully selected, and drawing the material at a very slow rate it is possible to cause the solidification process to start from the inside-out resulting in the formation of very long crystals in the metal, rather than the many short crystals that form in conventional casting when the material cools from the outside-in.

Because of the requirement of very high purity metal (to prevent premature crystallization) and cast at very slow speeds, the cost of manufacture of OCC product is much more expensive than using conventional casting.

The OCC process was initially licensed to Furukawa Electric of Japan.

It soon became evident that the metallurgical properties of OCC copper were also advantageous for audio applications. The initial use of OCC copper wire in audio began in 1988 by a company called Furutech (no relation to Furukawa Electric) with Audioquest soon following in 1989 with its cables using Perfect Surface Copper (PSC).

The OCC process made a small fortune for Dr. Ohno, and in gratitude to his alma mater he made a generous research endowment to the University of Toronto in 1989.

University of Toronto OCC Research Lab

The UofT Department of Metallurgical Engineering established an OCC research lab in recognition of the donation. Today the Chiba Institute of Technology and University of Toronto remain the two leading OCC research centers in the world.

Dr. Ohno who is now in his mid eighties, is a Professor Emeritus at both Chiba and Toronto, and continues to keep in touch with researchers at the two institutions on a weekly basis. He remains in good health and was fortunately not affected by the recent earthquake in Japan.

Today there are three companies who cast OCC metals and an ever increasing number of audio companies using OCC copper and silver in their very best cables.

@havocman your post says it all. Now just go away. Reminds me of another guy @millercarbon.  No one is listening to your crap or your endorsements. 

Lo Life. 

thecarpathian,

maybe you should see his responses to me and why I'm ridiculing him I don't back down from idiots all I was doing was stating facts.

jerryg123,

gee I didn't know you were such a little baby reporting me, I'm not spamming I'm just stating facts, if you can't handle it go to another forum LOL, what a joke you are, go cry in the corner somewhere.

@hilde45 you are correct and @tammyholt is now aware of the SPAMMING that @havocman is making in favor of Neotech and if you look at his history he is spamming every chance he gets. And he is abusive. 

havocman

340 posts

ghdPrentice,

do you still think junkie ofc is better than OCC and better than rectangular OCC LOL do some more research.

Figured it out this @havocman man is none other than @urbie 

@tammyholt may want to just this down now. 

urbie

275 posts

brf,

MIT does not use OCC single crystal wire sorry they use cheap ofc wire cuz I phoned them and asked them.

urbie

275 posts

dragon_vibe,

have you tried the neotech rectangular cable? the Amazon and the Sahara and if you have what is your opinion? there's a new company that has come into the audio industry called Infigo audio they're using ofc conductors in their wire and some of the reviews said it's better than OCC single Crystal I highly doubt it.

havocman

345 posts

nonoise,

the rectangular silver and copper OCC will be much better than your Zu speaker cables, they're not cheap though but I got the Sahara which is the rectangular copper and it is superb much better than the round OCC.