Unsure how to set levels to use tubes and power amp together

Hello to all...

I have a question regarding setting the power amp to work with my preamp:

I have a Wolze Line Level Tube Preamp -2-AX7s and 2-EF86 tubes, playing into a Parasound HCA-750a then to a pair of JBL L25 PRIMA speakers...

In a past forum: it was suggested that I could either play my CD unit directly thru the amp, using its volume controls ( it has independent R&L volume controls on the back of the unit) OR add a preamp, use the volume knob on the preamp, and set the volume controls on the back of the amp, according to how loud ( at what o’clock) I wanted to use the preamp volume.

My confusion relates to a minimal understanding that any electronic device ’amplifying’ a signal introduces distortion in the transmission, and therein lyes my confusion. Do I just set the amps volume control 1/2 way on the back (to minimize the distortion from that piece) and use the preamps volume control, OR do I set the amps volume controls full-on, and just use the preamp volume controls as best I can (even if it means minute adjustments never past about 8:30 on the preamp volume control).

So I’m questioning which piece of equipment’s distortion is better to take a advantage of... And what I should do.

insearchofprat

Showing 1 response by gs5556

By turning the volume to 100% on the Parasound, you are reducing the number of resistors in the path of the signal from the preamp to the amp's input stage. Resistors are noisy and the fewer the better. So the answer is there is less distortion with the volume full on.