Under $500 - Used CDP or DAC/Transport?

I've recently sold a couple digital sources (MH CD25.2 and HRT Streamer+) that I found to be too much compromise. The MH throws a huge sound stage, but doesn't sound very accurate to me. String and acoustic guitar sound processed, not very believeable. The HRT made music sound more life like, but was rather dull and lacked the fullness of the MH.

I want to spend around $500 for a replacement. I am thinking a used CDP like an Apollo or an inexpensive used DVD player as transport with a budget DAC. Top DAC choices are audio-gd NFB-3, Beresford Caiman, VDAC, and some others.

Is this price point not worth buying a DAC? I still listen mostly to CDs, I haven't fully taken the computer audio plunge yet (HRT experience was mostly good though). Would it make sense for me to buy the best $500 used CDP now and wait a year or two to target a DAC? I'm particularly interested in the audio-gd DAC, but not if it's just going to be a headache and lateral move at best.
meskandar

Showing 6 responses by meskandar

Buoconero117,

I have seen you recommend the Sony 595 in many posts. I have looked several times and have never seen this available on sonystyle.com. Can you please provide a link?
I'm interested in the NAD C 565BEE, does anyone have anything to offer besides it being a good value at the price point? I like that it has digital in, would be nice to hook up an Apple TV or something along those lines.

Spearit has them refurbed for a good price. Any reason to not look into this more closely?
Oppo 93 does not have analog outs, right? The 95 sounds great but out of my range at moment. To be clear on my goal, looking for 2 channel only, no video.
Any chance someone here has compared the Oppo 93 to one of the other CDPs discussed here (Apollo, C 565BEE, etc.)? Just want to know that the 93 would be a sonic upgrade from the others.

I don't need video so Blu-Ray feature is literally of no use to me. The input from hard drive is nice, but I assume it isn't Async USB. Probably better to go optical for computer based music.
Yes...my choices seem to be the refurb NAD, used Apollo, new Oppo 93 or used Cambridge 740C. They all sound like good choices, and I can now go a bit above my initial price range (~$700).

I have a somewhat bright system so looking for a source that is not. I am currently running a PS1 (the only decent source I have on hand) it's actually really good sounding. Not interested in it as my long term solution but that's the type of sound that I think works best with my gear.

Leaning towards NAD...will post decision and review in time.
I'm going with the NAD, should arrive in a few days. I'll post a follow up after I've had a chance to listen for a few days. Thanks for all your input!