tyler linbrook signatures vs. b&w 802

I have narrowed it down to these Two speakers. I have heard the B&Ws but not the Tyler on piece system .Which would be the best choice ..Thanks everyone...Joe
Ag insider logo xs@2xjhjf123456

Showing 3 responses by drseid

Speaking as an owner of the Linbrook System (although mine is the 2 piece version), and having listened extensively to the B&W 802s (both N and D versions) on several ocasions in different rooms powered by high-end McIntosh electronics on both, I think I can say without a doubt that the Tylers are far better to my ears. In every area I felt the Tylers bested both versions of the 802s... Highs were more natural sounding, midrange was far superior, soundstage height and width were superior, and the Linbrooks got much lower, with tighter and faster bass.

All of this said, the 802 were still good speakers to be sure, but to my ears at least, I found absolutely no reason to want them over what I had (telling the salesman so after one of the auditions to utter shock), and I found the multiple auditions only strengthened my belief that I made the right choice.

For reference, the speaker that I felt came closest to the Linbrook Signature System in my auditions was the *superb* Von Schweikert DB99 mkIIs (then at 10K, now selling for 12K). Now *that* would be a competition. :-)

As for Krellm7's comments, I really have no idea where he is coming from on this one. The negative statement about Tyler sounds like it is coming from someone who has never heard the brand. Comparing the $5500 Linbrook System with top-of-the-line SEAS Excel drivers to Bose (any of their models) is rather outlandish IMO, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

---Dave
Building drivers in-house, or having exclusive use of drivers is irrelevant. I have heard speakers that used exclusive drivers that have sounded excellent, and others that sounded poor. I could say the same about speakers using "drivers you can get off the Internet." In the end, it mainly comes down to the capability of the driver (created in-house or not), and what the speaker designer does with it (implementation).

As for B&W being a big company, can't disagree there... but again, that means nothing with respect to end-product quality to my thinking. Bose is a big company too. I am sure you would not compare *B&W* to Bose... Again, size of company and distribution channels are irrelevant, it comes down to what the end product sounds like (and its build quality). Is a box created in a large scale assembly plant necessarily more effective than one created by hand, or with manual tooling?

---Dave
I thought you first advised everyone to not trust anyone on here to give an uncolored opinion (I assumed you included yourself in that statement)? Now you are accusing every poster on this thread (even the owners of other brands like Von Schweikert) of participating in a Tyler marketing campaign? I am sure Krellm7 in particular would not agree, as it primarily was his original response that jump started the entire string of other responses, IMO. You could easily make the same charge against B&W with respect to his and your posts... Of course either charge would be wrong... In my mind, these are just posters voicing their opinions based on their own set of preferences (including you and Krellm7). As you have already mentioned that you are happy with your B&W 802Ds, why should you care if others prefer the Linbrooks (or any other brand for that matter)... as long as *you* are happy, that's all that matters right?

Happy listening,

---Dave