Turntable issue

I haven't had much luck finding an answer to this question so hopefully it's not something that's been asked a thousand times.

Yesterday I turn my preamp on, place a record on the player and I can hear every touch of the tonearm I make. It clicks when lifting it out of its resting position and when I screw or unscrew the record clamp this at is also very audible through my speakers. Also I'm now hearing a hum that was never present before.

I understand that the cartridge picks up vibrations and turns them to sound but this has never been something that was clearly audible before. I'v never heard siuns coming from my speakers when screwing the clamp on our off.

Thanks for any responses.

MMF 5.1SE
Project Tube Box S
jsouth72

Showing 1 response by davide256

before starting make sure your pre is not set to phono
1. check the ground wire, make sure its attached and not broken. usually you get very bad hum if its not connected but it can be lesser symptoms
2. check your cartridge leads to make sure they are tight. what you are describing sounds more like microphonic pickup from loose connection
3. if the RCA cables are user swappable, swap them and see if the problem goes away. if they aren't swappable make sure they are connecting tightly
4. possible that its a tube but microphony isn't a usual sign of tube aging... they get dull sounding. If you have connected a new piece of gear to your preamp, it may be causing you electrical problems. See if the problem goes away with only the Project Tube Box S connected as a pre input.