Turntable Advice

Now that I have a few good Beatles LPs on the way, I need to buy a turntable. My old Sony just isn't going to work. I have narrowed things down to a few models and would like some input from you all. All of these are on A-gon now, although I haven't been in contact with all of the sellers yet. Anyway, the choices are:

VPI Scout- the advantage I see here is that they are fairly new and seem to have a good rep. Not the most pleasing to the eye.

VPI Mk3- Several variations available, good rep, I would upgrade them to MKIV. One has an ET-2 arm. They are all at least 10-15 years old and quite used. I do like how they look the best (wood base).

Linn Sondek LP12- Lots of these around. At least 15 years old, good reputation, tried and true. Nearing the end of their useful life?

When all is said and done, I will probably be into these for about $1500-2000. Since I have no way of looking at or auditioning them before I buy, I feel like I'm just taking a shot in the dark. I appreciate any thoughts you all have.

Thanks,
Rick
rcj1231

Showing 2 responses by rcj1231

Thanks to all for your help today. I just concluded a deal for a HW-19 MK3 with an ET-2 tonearm and AQ B200L cartridge and lots of extras. It's from the late 80's but has low hours. Now the real fun begins! Planning to upgrade to MK4 and SAMA units eventually, probably a new cartridge. I'm more than a little bit concerned about the air bearing tonearm, sounds complicated and fussy. We'll see. I'm always open to advice on these matters so fire away if you have any ideas.....

Thanks Again,
Rick